iPhoto Says pictures are already in library

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dale Collie, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Dale Collie macrumors member

iPhoto refuses to import some pictures with error message that these pictures are already in the library. I've searched each folder and used Edit/Find and I cannot locate the files. I've changed the names and tried to import them. I've changed the size and tried.

Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Dale

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Could the message be erroneous, and triggered by copy-write, file format, or some other issue?? :confused:

3. Dale Collie thread starter macrumors member

copy-write, file format

At one point I had an error about format and discovered that these additional pictures were "x" MB while all the others were "x" KB. I converted the photos to KB size and tried to import them, only to find out that iPhoto rejects the import because they "are already in Library"

Also double checked the copy-write and locked ... all are set up for me to copy, read, write, and none is locked

Thanks for the tip ... still trying to resolve the issue
    11:38 on 4/22/11

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Is the location of your iPhoto DB on a locked partition or does it have read/write etc privileges enabled? Is this happening on every photo you try to bring in or just a select few?

5. Dale Collie thread starter macrumors member

locked partition

Thanks for the ideas, but other photos from the same folder can be imported to iPhoto, and I've checked the read/write permissions ... all are in my folder with read and write permission allowed

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Just so we understand:

iPhoto library on harddrive = read/write
    Photo's trying to import = read/write

Are these photos on an external hard drive or camera card? If so, have you tried coping them to your internal hard drive and then importing them?

What about bringing them into say photoshop or the like and re-saving them and then trying to import.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Does iPhoto use a hidden file, to keep track of file names, once loaded?

If so, it may have been corrupted by your first failures due to file format errors?

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I was think of something along those lines also. One reason I mentioned bring them into a program and re-save them as a different name and see if that works.

I don't know if iPhoto does but I am wondering if there is something saved in the database that is showing the conflict.

9. Dale Collie thread starter macrumors member

iPhoto Read-Write & import

I dont find a place to check read-write for iPhoto, but I've been importing and i've been using them out of iPhoto into iMovie, So I'm guessing it is set to read-write or not prohibited.

The files that I'm trying to import are read-write, but the error message reads that the files are already in iPhoto

Here's another clue ... when I highlight each of these files that refuse to import, I find at the bottom of the screen that they are located:
    User/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Data/folder

Nowhere else can I access the "Data" folder .... any ideas on that?