iPhoto shows imported photos as black

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jojoba, Apr 27, 2012.

1. jojoba macrumors 68000

Well, the title says it all. I'm importing photos from my Canon A3350 to my MBA, and about 50% of my photos are showing up black, this has happened a few times over the past week.

Does anyone know how to fix this? It's very frustrating :mad:

2. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

I've just started having this happen this week too. Happens from both my Sony NEX-5N and my wifes Panasonic DMZ-TZ10. Photos work import fine on my wifes Win7 laptop though.

3. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

I've now learned from a bit of googling that rotating the images help. it's annoying, though, I don't really have time to rotate fifty percent of my photos every time I import. But at least my photos weren't lost.

4. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Rotating didn't help me, they still all stayed black. Also removing them from iphoto and clearing the iphoto trash and then reimporting didn't help.

But, when I rebooted my MBP and tried the import again they worked fine. Weird?!?!

5. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Did you rotate them 360 degrees? I went to the edit photo page, then rotated four times, then the photo still looked black in editing mode, but when I went back to the album, the picture showed normally.

The import function has now worked well for me the last two times.

Weird, definitely!

6. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

No I just did a rotate once. Did it for a few photos but didn't help, and neither did deleting/emptying iphoto trash/reimport.

Reboot did solve it though for me and hasn't happened since. Bizarre!