iPhoto Slideshow Music Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeffnebraska, Nov 16, 2010.

1. jeffnebraska macrumors member

One feature I'm really liking on my ATV2 is the ability to create an iTunes playlist and have a random song from it play every time I launch a slideshow. Seems the same feature must be available somewhere in iPhoto, but I can't make it work.

I can bring up the playlist, but can only select one song as my default setting (not a random song from the list).

Any way to make this work?

2. jeffnebraska thread starter macrumors member

Bad sign?

Does the lack of a response after thirty something views indicate this ain't possible? If so, that is a weird advantage of ATV2 over iPhoto.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

4. jeffnebraska thread starter macrumors member

That is disappointing and surprising. It's a darn nice feature to be able to kickoff a slideshow and have it automatically play a song you think is well suited to watching your pics.

Maybe I need to email Steve.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Well it will kick off a song that you thing fits well, it just won't do one at random from a playlist.

Unlikely to change -- the way it is now is consistent with an exported slideshow (perhaps the most common slide show use in iPhoto) which obviously can't play random songs since the audio track is part of the exported video file.

6. jeffnebraska thread starter macrumors member

The bigger issue is not wanting to hear the same song every time I click the play button and watch a slideshow from some event.

I don't fully understand what controls which song plays if you use the "Themes" folder as the default for your slideshow music. Sometimes it seems certain songs (e.g., You Gotta Friend in Me and Linus and Lucy) are being randomly selected, but sometimes it seems like the song is determined by the theme you pick (e.g., Ken Burns vs. Scrapbook).

Either way, the ATV2 playlist option is a great one. They ought to make that available in iPhoto, and I can't imagine it would be hard to do.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy