iPhoto-Sort by Name Available?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kitki83, Mar 11, 2009.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

I added my organized file structure of photography into iPhoto. So far everything is how I want it but my only problem is each folder is labeled 2008-01 Name, 2009-05 name and so on, I cannot figure out how to organize by the folders name. Basically what I seen now is 2005 is on the top while 2002 are in the middle of the list. I just want to organize them to correct date.

Thank you

2. bking1000 macrumors 65816

You can drag the folders above/below each other to create a manual sort. I don't believe there is any type of "sort by" commend on folder names, only pictures.

I have to tell you, I gave up on folders, and now do high-level events, with keywording and smart folders. I did not find iPhoto's management of folders particularly great.

3. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know but I had this system way back so not a major problem nor does it take long to continue the process. I just want it to be organized by year then month. Currently only viewing my whole library did not create any roll/categories yet.

I should find some youtube videos on using iphoto, and buy Aperture since I notice they work hand in hand.

4. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

I am still unable to organize the photo sets, as you can see years are unorganized. Anyone know how to solved this?

5. bking1000 macrumors 65816

AFAIK you are working in the wrong section of iPhoto to organize your pictures. You are in the "photos" bin which is where you can see ALL photos, and you've got "show even titles" turned on, but (again - AFAIK) that interface is not meant for organizing or sorting. You should work in either events or folders. I prefer events.

If you click on "events" on the left hand side above "photos" you can see all those events organized in a grid array. You can manually move those events in whatever order you like.

Hope that helps.

6. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you kind sir it did what I wanted to do basically create folders based on the grouping. Next phase would be adding meta tags. Is the information in iPhoto stores can be transferred to Aperture 2?

7. itsfrancesyo macrumors newbie

If you go up to "View" on the top bar, and then "Sort Photos," which is the sixth option down, you are able to sort according to your needs.

Hope that was what you were asking.