iPhoto - Storing RAW files on External HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rossgumbrell, Sep 18, 2008.

1. rossgumbrell macrumors regular

Just asking to see if this is possible?

I recently bought a Sony Alpha A200 and have been shooting in RAW format.
    When i import into iPhoto, it creates a JPEG of the RAW file and places it into the 'modified' folder and places the RAW (well... the ARW) file into the 'originals' folder. When displaying photos on screen is shows the JPEG and if you want to edit that it edits the RAW and recreates the JPEG after editing.

Question: Is it possible to have the 'originals' folder on an external HDD (as the RAW's take up so much space) and the 'modified' folder still on the MacBook so when my external HDD isn't connected, i will still be able to open the images full screen (the JPEGS)?

Many Thanks! :)

:apple::apple::apple:

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

As far as I know, this is not possible. I'm not sure if your Sony can do it, but my Nikon will shoot a combo of RAW+JPEG, so I get both for each shot. I copy all of the RAW images from my camera card to an external (and backed up) drive to preserve for posterity.

Then I selectively import some of the JPEG's into iPhoto on the system my other half uses, and selectively import some of the RAW images into Aperture on my system. Maybe something like this would suit your purpose?