iPhoto stuck at 9.3.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Julien, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

When I update (install) iPhoto (9.4.1 now) from App Store and open iPhoto it says “Needs to Update Library” but just hangs (can’t even hit the OK or Cancel buttons). I have left it “running” for hours and Activity Monitor reports it as Not Responding before having to Force Quit. Have also tried deleting my library/moving iPhoto to Trash and installing from scratch (and ever combination I can think of). It still hangs when I try to start iPhoto for the first time. Keep trying on each new release with same results (have tried dozens of times). Have sent a report to Apple ever time too. I want to enable Shared iPhoto Streams but can’t update from iPhoto 9.3.2.

2. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I can install iPhoto 9.4.1?

3. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Before installing iPhoto again, make sure you've deleted your iPhoto Preference file. I'm not sure if it gets re-written when you do an update, so if it is messed up before you update, it may still be messed up after you update, even if you've removed iPhoto. A word of caution - you may want to copy it to your desktop, as once you delete it, it may set everything back to its default values - so any thing you have selected in iPhoto Preferences may go away. If you find out later that this wasn't a problem, you can put it back in its place.

After updating iPhoto, launch it by holding down the "option" key, and when prompted, create a new iPhoto Library. If you can successfully do this, the issue may be within your existing library.

With iPhoto running, try going to File>Switch To Library and select your default library. If this works, great. If not, you may need to fix your Library (make sure you have a backup Library before doing this JUST IN CASE!).

Shut down iPhoto, and relaunch, this time holding down both the "option" and "command" keys. A menu will come up - try the first option (Repair Permissions). If that doesn't work, relaunch again holding down the "option" and "command" keys and try "repair database". Again, if that doesn't work, relaunch again and try "rebuild database".

Again, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A COPY OF YOUR LIBRARY!

4. Julien, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Thanks, where is the iPhoto Preference file located and what is it named? I looked in Library: Application Support: iPhoto but don’t see it. I have Time Machine so no problem about deleting/restoring any files.

Delete (move to Trash) iPhoto 9.3.2
    Delete iPhoto Preference file
    Download/instal iPhoto 9.4.1
    (try to) Open holding Option Key

5. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Home>Library>Preferences>com.apple.iphoto.plist

6. Julien, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Thanks, looked there also and the file is not there. I have looked with iPhoto running and not running. Also did a Spotlight search and found no file named com.apple.iPhoto.plist.

EDIT: Went back in Time Machine and the file is not present either. My iPhoto library is 67GB and iPhoto 9.3.2 works fine.

[​IMG]

7. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

8. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

The com.apple.iPhoto.plist file is in your user's Preferences folder:
    Macintosh HD/Users/**you**/Library/Preferences/

You're looking in Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences

Finder > Go > Go to Folder... > ~/Library/Preferences

9. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Thanks, found it (and some others). Do I delete only the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file are should I delete all of them? Also it seems awfully small at 15KB's.

[​IMG]

10. DoctorCrap macrumors regular

DoctorCrap

15KB is not awfully small for a bunch plist files.
    Delete every plist file to remove even the preferences you've set to the application if you want that.

11. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Same problem. Here is what I did.

1) Copy the *.plist files to USB drive and delete them
    2) Copy iPhoto library to USB drive and delete
    3) Eject USB drive
    4) Move iPhoto to Trash (is there another way to delete it? I have AppCleaner but it won't work on iPhoto)
    5) Download/Install iPhoto from the App store
    6) Open iPhoto holding Option Key
    7) Select New library and default location
    8) iPhoto just gives me the spinning ball but does create a new iPhoto.plist file
    9) Let it go for over an hour and nothing (but spinning ball), Activity Monitor reports as Not Responding

How can it not do a clean install? Are there any other files that I need (or can) delete? Is there any other install method?