iphoto sucks, can I not use it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dobiewonkanobie, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Dobiewonkanobie macrumors regular

is there any way to NOT use iPhoto? I hate it. It is a horrible program. I'd rather just organize my photos in traditional folders the way I used to on my (gasp) PC, and edit in Photoshop. But I can't find my camera anywhere but in iPhoto. Any help appreciated.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You should be able to use Image Capture to get images off of your camera.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

iPhoto does organize, and you can use what ever you want to edit with. I use Kodak EasyShare. You can set it to organize however you want.

TEG

4. dazed macrumors 6502a

I use ImageIngester to get the nef files off my d300. It also creates directories based on the dates so its good for organizing. I just use the free version, the pro has a few more options which you may or may not need.

From there I bring any nefs i like into capture nx and then create a tiff for importing to lightroom.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

With photos stored in simple directories it becomes really hard or even imposable to find a given photo. Let's say I want am image of my son and his grandmother taken in Mexico. What would i do? look through hundreds of folders one at a time? I'd likely just give up.

The way to nderstand iPhoto is to remember from elementry school whaen they told you how apublic library works. There is a stack of book on a few hundred shelves, You can look there but it will be un-productive. But there are three card catalogs, sorted by author, title and subject. Look there. iPhoto works like that but you can have lots more then three card catalogs. The trick inthe library or in iPhoto is not to be temped to browse the stacks go for the catalogs

6. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Or look in the "trip to mexico 2007" folder :p

7. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Using keywords, like "grandmother" and "son" (or probably son's name) will allow you to find those photos instantly! iPhoto is great at its job -- which is to organize and keep track of your photos for you, so you don't have to do the mind-numbing organizing manually like you do in Windows.

Don't go into the finder to look -- users are not meant to do anything in the library in finder. iPhoto keeps its library organized the way it wants so that your use of the app is easy. Let the app work for you and you will find it does a great job. Just use keywords when you import, rename your "roll" or "event" depending on what version you are using, and use Albums, smart albums, etc. to organize. Nothing could be easier.