iPhoto sucks.... literally sucking memory.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kfergiez, Oct 13, 2011.

1. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I didn't like iPhoto from the start, but I thought I'd give it another go for the use of photo stream. I installed the newest version, and made sure my settings were all correct. The biggest thing was to make sure that iPhoto did NOT copy photos into iPhoto library.

But after importing a few hundred photos, the iPhoto library was 5GB??????? Come to find out, it saves the full size image for the thumbnail in the iPhoto library. So technically, it's not copying the photos but it's saving the full image for thumbnails. How stupid is that?

I would like to use it, but with all the doubling of photos, it just eats up my memory. I would normally be okay with copying the photos to the iPhoto library, but I like to keep track of where my photos are, and am not okay with them 'disappearing' into the indiscernible iPhoto library abyss. Is there a way to keep iPhoto from doing this?

TL;DR, iPhoto making copies of pictures when it shouldn't, am I doing something wrong?

2. LoganT macrumors 68020

It's literally not possible for an application to suck something.

3. kfergiez thread starter macrumors 6502

kfergiez

WWDC 2012... Introducing, .:iSuck:.
    For those of you with poor self-esteem!
    ;)

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

All of the thumbnails (example in second attachment, 94KB - 360x270) in my iPhoto library are smaller (in dimension and file size) than the originals (example in first attachment, 827KB - 1600x1200).

Attached Files:

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

That's not memory. It's disk space. They are not the same thing, even remotely.

6. kfergiez thread starter macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Oh heavens.... Forgive me. It's taking 5GB of 'disk space.'

Which begs the question.... Why did you feel the need to reply?

----------

Upon further investigation, it's not thumbnails that are taking up space, but 'previews.' And yes, they are full size, you can see from the file location and the size of the photo.

[​IMG]

7. OldRoadRider macrumors newbie

You may wish to read the "Missing Manual for iPhoto 11" which clearly describes how the iPhoto Library functions. You can find it at http://search.oreilly.com/?q=iphoto+11 or at Amazon. Yes, iPhoto is a disc space HOG. I have been using iPhoto 08 for 4 and 1/2 years and have 19,843 images stored and the disc space consumption is astounding. The actual jpg files and very few raw files consume 70 GB or about 3.5 GB per image. But, when I back up the files in full, iPhoto backup consumes 136 GB of disc space. Almost 2X the photos.
    Primary reason is that iPhoto 08 saves the original no matter how many times you modify it. I love using iPhoto 08 and sometimes I need to get back to the original. iPhoto 08 makes up in time savings what it costs in memory. I have only tried iPhoto 11 at the Apple store and thus far it does not suit my semi pro purposes as well as iPhoto 08 teamed with Photoshop.