iPhoto sync between two MacBooks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JensJ, Oct 26, 2013.

1. JensJ macrumors newbie

Is there a way to have automatic sync in iPhoto between two Macbooks? My wife and I will like to have the exactly the same photos on our two different Macbooks.

2. strakekine macrumors newbie

Somebody knows an answer?
    I want to do the same? I want like an automatic sync without the need to go through icloud manual szncing...
    Thanks

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

The only way to do this is to make one copy the master and perform editing only on that machine. Then you can copy the library to the other machine. If you try to edit on both machines and try to sync back and forth, you will trash your library.

4. strakekine macrumors newbie

In times of icloud syncing it is difficult to believe that iphoto librarys don't sync...
    Ok there are the photostreams, but an auto-sync feature would be nice as i don't think i am the only one with 2 macs but only one iphoto library?! ;-)

5. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I keep thinking of using a cloud based photo service just for this reason. Flickr or Google+ would easily hold my entire photo library for free, wouldn't take up any HDD space locally, and would be accessible and editable from both my computers, iPads, and phones.

I suppose you could have one computer be your master iPhoto library and then sync that entire library to Flickr, and then just browse your photos on Flickr from your other computer.

6. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Come on, Apple! Please create iPhoto library syncing! We want to have our organized photos everywhere automatically.

7. excommie macrumors regular

Plex server on the Mac with the Photo Library, Plex client on the 2nd Mac or iPhone/Android/Roku is the best way of accessing single library on multiple devices.

Apple disabled Library sharing with the latest iPhoto update. A huge step backwards. Plex makes sharing easy.

8. Glenn.eu macrumors member

Glenn.eu

Maybe it's an option to put the "iPhoto Library" file in Dropbox and share that file with your wife's Mac.
    If the file is to big for dropbox you can also test "BitTorrent Sync" to sync the "iPhoto Library" file between the 2 Macs.

I put my "iPhoto Library" file in Dropbox as a backup, so i haven't tested how it works to sync the file and use it on 2 Macs. (One downside to using the same library file will be that you won't be able to have iPhoto open on 2 Macs and make changes at the same time.)

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

2 way syncing of a library not meant for sharing is the fast path to library corruption.

Sharing an iPhoto or Aperture library is great for those who don't care about their photos.

/Jim