iPhoto the best photo app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rgr555, Sep 28, 2012.

1. rgr555 macrumors 6502

this is my first Mac OSX system

I find Picassa much easier to use for photos, I thought Apple was more intuitive for photos?

Why isn't there an option to set photos as desktop? Am I missing something?

What does "Make Key Photo" do?

2. firedept, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

firedept macrumors 603

firedept

First. Make Key Photo is used when you want a different photo to show at the top of an event instead of the first one put in the event.

Second. iPhoto is a good program once you learn it, but there are better programs if you want to spend the money. Both for organization and editing. There is Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop, Pixelmator, Adobe Bridge, Photoshop Elements and so on. Just remember some of these can be expensive programs. But you pay for what you get.

As for setting a photo to be a desktop, just add it to your Library/Desktop Pictures folder and then you can set it to be a desktop photo through System Preferences.

3. rgr555 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just want something to look at photos leisurely.

I notice when I click a photo to view it through "Preview", I can't even scroll to the other photos in the same folder. I would have to open the entire iPhoto app.

I just thought it would be a lot easier to use than Picasa. Mind boggles me I can't even right click to set as desktop wallpaper.

4. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

Goto the directory where you have stored the pics...Select all the photos you want to view...'apple + a' and then press 'apple + down' to open all the snaps in Preview (provided Preview is the default app to open your images)

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I am not sure what other operating system you were using but they all have their differences. OS X is a great system, just give yourself a chance to get use to it. Read the boards here and you will see many people have changed over and love it. As for being able to just scroll through your photo all at once is very simple. Two ways you can do it. 1. Command+A will highlight all the pictures in a folder, then you can either hit spacebar and have a quick view at them all or double-click one of the highlighted photos and they will all open in Preview if that is your default viewer. At which point you will be able to scroll through them all.

6. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

Based on my experience as a recent convert to the Mac, I can suggest that you give yourself (and OS X) a break. I sense that you're feeling some frustration.

Just give it some time, keep trying, asking questions and, as many have said before, you may need to change the way you think. Before long you'll come to realize, as I did, that OS X (although different) is so much easier to use than that other OS.

IMHO, iPhoto is an excellent photo browser and firedept has given you great information to get you going.

Cheers and keep trying...you won't regret it!

7. rgr555 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do love OSX so far. For sure it is much easier on the eyes. It's almost always a better GUI in every app.

I just can't believe how unintuitive iPhoto is compared to Picasa. Being able to scroll photos in the same folder should be default.

Other than that I'm not complaining much about anything else.

Thanks for the help.

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

press the Spacebar to open them in Quicklook.

9. Mike in Kansas, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

To set as desktop: In iPhoto, highlight the photo you want as your desktop. Next, go to the "Share" menu in the tool bar and select "Set Desktop". Boom.

To quickly go through photos in an event: double click the event to open it. Adjust the photo size with the "Zoom" slider down in the lower left of the screen. Look at photos.

Conversely, once you have the event open, double click a photo to enlarge it. Use the left and right arrow keys to scroll through all the photos in an event.

If you don't want to import the photos into iPhoto to view them, just select the photo in Finder and push the space bar.

10. rgr555 thread starter macrumors 6502

share --> set desktop isn't there for me

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

12. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I'm referencing iPhoto '11 (Version 9.4). I don't remember where this was located in previous versions.

13. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Here's a nice Preview replacement. It's called Xee. I've been using it for a while now.

Xee