iphoto.... the location dilemma

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mmcxiiad, Mar 18, 2012.

1. mmcxiiad macrumors 6502

So iPhoto has been the app that has caused a fair amount of disconnect in our house. Until recently, my wife and I have each had a desktop and a laptop (we work from home). This has resulted in 4 iPhoto libraries. We have realized what a mess this has caused.

Recently we both swapped out our 2 computer lifestyle for a macbook air each (plus thunderbolt display). This has solved a lot of our "which computer is my stuff on). But the missing link is still iPhoto.

Ultimately, My goal is to have 1 master iPhoto library that both of us can use. This, as I have read, seems to be the one thing iPhoto was not made to do. That said, I was wondering if anyone had set something up, or used some trickery to get iPhoto to do this.

Here is my list of wants:

1. a single shared & synced iPhoto library.
    2. shared off a network drive (iPhoto has gotten too big to exist on any laptop.
    3. use photo stream from laptops to see last x number of days.
    4. using dropbox and folder actions to add photos from laptop from anywhere. (this one I know how to do).

Any help, ideas, opinions, insight, etc would be appreciated.

2. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

3. mmcxiiad thread starter macrumors 6502

i know photo stream needs a single apple id, but what about the rest?

4. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I use Aperture instead of iPhoto and it is easy to have a separate, partial library on a mobile device. The main library resides on an iMac w/external. Photo stream works with Aperture as well, again single Apple ID. We also use the new iOS iPhoto on our iPads although I have not spent enough time with the new app to get it organized properly. In short, I would suggest that Aperture's ability to set up, maintain and move around multiple libraries and projects may serve you better than iPhoto.

5. mmcxiiad, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

mmcxiiad thread starter macrumors 6502

Great news on aperture. What is the best way to import multiple iPhoto libraries into it?

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

The second icon on the top left is an Import icon. Just click on it and point it at your iPhoto library. FWIW - I found Focus on Apple Aperture by Corey Hilz to be a good overview of Aperture.

7. mmcxiiad thread starter macrumors 6502

very cool. how many iPhoto libraries can be imported? any downsides to aperture vs iPhoto?

8. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

There is no limit on what you can import; Aperture, unlike iPhoto, is designed to work with a large number of pictures. Downsides are the normal Apple restrictions, Photo Stream will work either Aperture or iPhoto but not both at the same time. Aperture's learning curve is longer. There are a number of Aperture threads in this sub-forum, Aperture or Lightroom plus Photoshop are what the pros use. You won't outgrow it.