iPhoto tidying

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Hey all,

I recently backed up a load of photo to dvd from iphoto and deleted the folders from my hd, now in iphoto i have a load of thumbnails with no big version of the photo, is there a way I can get iphoto to delete all the thumbnails for photos that it doesnt have the hi-res version of?

I tried iphoto diet but it keep erroring saying

"File alias Macintosh HD:Users:Tom:pictures:iPhoto Library:Originals:2004:Mobile Pictures: wasn't found. (-43)"

Which i presume is one of my albums...can anyone suggest how to fix this OR another way of dealing with this problem? Thanks, tek

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
Hey all,

I recently backed up a load of photo to dvd from iphoto and deleted the folders from my hd, now in iphoto i have a load of thumbnails with no big version of the photo, is there a way I can get iphoto to delete all the thumbnails for photos that it doesnt have the hi-res version of?

I tried iphoto diet but it keep erroring saying

"File alias Macintosh HD:Users:Tom:pictures:iPhoto Library:Originals:2004:Mobile Pictures: wasn't found. (-43)"

Which i presume is one of my albums...can anyone suggest how to fix this OR another way of dealing with this problem? Thanks, tek
why dont you just select them all and press delete?

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Well some of them are full res version and some arn't so id have to go through all my photos (over 5000 or so) which would be tiring!

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
well every so often iPhoto tells me "for the best performance" it'd like to rebuild the thumbnail cache. Maybe there's a button someplace to do this and it would realize that it no longer has the full versions.

just a thought.
and maybe someplace in the iPhoto Library folder there may be a folder full of thumbs you can delete. actually i'm sure there is but i'm not on my Mac right now so i can't check!

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Hold down command (apple key) and option when you click iPhoto. When it starts up, it'll give you the option to do several things, including rebuilding your thumbnail database. Should do the trick just fine.