iPhoto tidying

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tektonnic, Jul 11, 2007.

1. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

Hey all,

I recently backed up a load of photo to dvd from iphoto and deleted the folders from my hd, now in iphoto i have a load of thumbnails with no big version of the photo, is there a way I can get iphoto to delete all the thumbnails for photos that it doesnt have the hi-res version of?

I tried iphoto diet but it keep erroring saying

"File alias Macintosh HD:Users:Tom:pictures:iPhoto Library:Originals:2004:Mobile Pictures: wasn't found. (-43)"

Which i presume is one of my albums...can anyone suggest how to fix this OR another way of dealing with this problem? Thanks, tek

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

why dont you just select them all and press delete?

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Have you tried to drag the unwanted thumbnails to the iPhoto trash can? (Not the main trash can on the dock)

4. tektonnic thread starter macrumors 6502

tektonnic

Well some of them are full res version and some arn't so id have to go through all my photos (over 5000 or so) which would be tiring!

5. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

well every so often iPhoto tells me "for the best performance" it'd like to rebuild the thumbnail cache. Maybe there's a button someplace to do this and it would realize that it no longer has the full versions.

just a thought.
    and maybe someplace in the iPhoto Library folder there may be a folder full of thumbs you can delete. actually i'm sure there is but i'm not on my Mac right now so i can't check!

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

Hold down command (apple key) and option when you click iPhoto. When it starts up, it'll give you the option to do several things, including rebuilding your thumbnail database. Should do the trick just fine.