iPhoto Tip: Working with Hidden photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jdr999, Oct 17, 2007.

1. jdr999 macrumors newbie

Here's a quick tip I just discovered!

I wanted to unhide all my hidden photos and give them a rating of 1 instead.

I created a Smart Album with the criteria
    Photo = Hidden

Select All
    Unhide Photos
    My Rating 1
    :D

For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to search for hiddens!! :p

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Why would you want to hide your photos? .... :confused:

Or shouldn't I ask .. ;)

3. jdr999 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the new iPhoto has a feature to hide pictures you don't always want to see and don't want to delete -- the less than perfect ones.

However hidden photos are excluded from many operations hence I decided to filter them out with a low rating instead. The hidden feature is a neat idea, but not completely practical to use.

And I thought it was commonplace on a Mac to keep all unmentionables in a password protected disk image! ;)

4. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Thank you for the tip. Exactly what I needed just now.

I tried hiding a picture once (following Steve Jobs suggestion to hide pictures that you don't always want to see). And, ever since then have had a terrible time keeping my library in sync with my backup since the count / number of pictures was always off.

Now I've got my numbers matching again, and will be able to stop wondering if I'm missing pictures.

I think the Hide feature was promoted too heavily in his speech and it's actually of little use to me and more of a problem.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Now I've got everything back the way I want it.

5. saradg macrumors newbie

Unhide

how do you unhide a picture? I clicked the hide button and now cannot find the pictures

6. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

this was asked 10 months ago, but....
    Click on View > Hidden Photos

7. 2chow macrumors newbie

Great tip for finding unintentionally hidden photos

Thanks for the tip jdr999. It is an elegant solution to the problem of finding that one photo out of a thousand that is hidden. Even after checking view hidden photos, it can be a real pain to search through the whole library for the one or two with the X. This solution worked really well.