Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Does anybody know of a script to change the file names of all of the photos in my iPhoto library to the titles I've assigned them? I know I can export them all, then reimport them all, but is there an easier way?
Also, is there any way to make a smart playlist of photos without titles? I've tried setting "Title is and title contains" and leaving the space blank, but nothing comes up.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Actually, I've discovered exporting them all and then importing them isn't really an option - keywords and ratings (which I've spent time tirelessly adding) don't stay with the photos when you import them.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Hell, if somebody knew the answer to this, I'd actually start using iPhoto!!

Why, oh why, does iPhoto not function like iTunes does in organizing/renaming source files on the fly?

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
Why do you want to rename the photos in the iPhoto Library (I'm assuming the one in the finder?) The library in the finder should not be messed with, trust me, been there, done that, and it ain't pretty! Any use/manipulation of your photos should be done from within iPhoto (or whatever photo software you use). Just forget that there is a library in the finder - pretend it does not exist! iPhoto (or other software) will do anything you need to do with your photos.

Good luck!

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Thanks Skybolt- but that's simply not the case for me. I want to be able to look at my files in the finder. I also use other things besides iPhoto- and I'd like for example, to be able to browse my images in both iPhoto and the Photoshop image browser. I can't do this efficiently if i let iPhoto control the way my images are filed. It's just not the same as iTunes, where when I change a name, I change the file name. Relinquishing control of file names is just not an option.

Another example- in iPhoto, it lets you drag a photo out onto your desktop, like if I want to take it elsewhere. Wouldn't it be nice if this file you dragged out had the title that you entered in iPhoto, and not the gobby-gook it was imported as? I don't want to have to go to the 'export' menu.

Also- no it isn't pretty what iPhoto does to yur files in the finder- but that's part of my point.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
I want to do the same thing chameeeleon and decksnap are trying to do.

Previously, I used MS Photo Editor under WinXP to edit and rename my photos.

I would love to use iPhoto 5 on my new Mac mini to finally manage correctly all of the photos I have. The lack of being able to rename the actual file is very limiting.

Why? Because when I share photos with others or take them to a local place to have prints made of them, the criptic filename my digital camera gives the picture can be very confusing.

The title in iPhoto is nice, but it's pretty useless when it comes to copying that JPG file to another computer and knowing what the picture is.

IMG00DHJFH.JPG = useless
family-picnic-park-01-050105.JPG = more descriptive

In my google searches, I've found a few renaming utilities, but so far, none of them (at least for the Mac) show the picture while you are renaming it (helpful for reducing the amount of close/reopen steps you need to rename the actual file of the photo).

For now, my work-around is to open each file in Preview and then close the file and rename it. It's not pretty by any means, but it works.

I've been tempted to load Picasa 2 under my VPC 7 WinXP, but that requires moving the pictures to the VPC then moving them back.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I think the reason that the iPhoto title doesn't become the file name is since there are no restrictions on duplicating titles within iPhoto. Then again, since they're stored in separate folders in iPhoto's folders that really shouldn't be a problem.

I'd like to do this so that Spotlight shows something meaningful when you search for an image that's in iPhoto.

chillywilly, to do what you want outside of iPhoto and assuming you want 'batch' type names like 'Family Picnic' + Date + Sequence number, you can now set up an Automator Sequence to do that. Then you'd could use Finder in icon view, to see all the pictures you downloaded from the camera on a given day, and use the automator action to add a phrase of your choice with Automator automatically working out the date and sequence for you.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
Applespider said:
chillywilly, to do what you want outside of iPhoto and assuming you want 'batch' type names like 'Family Picnic' + Date + Sequence number, you can now set up an Automator Sequence to do that. Then you'd could use Finder in icon view, to see all the pictures you downloaded from the camera on a given day, and use the automator action to add a phrase of your choice with Automator automatically working out the date and sequence for you.
Thanks for the suggestion. My post over on the Automator thread has a link to Apple's site that shows this very thing.

Looks like I need to get Tiger here soon. And I thought I would be happy with 10.3.8 for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.