IPhoto to Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by glenthompson, Mar 5, 2013.

1. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

When your iPhoto library is growing who should someone consider upgrading to Aperture? Yeah, Apple says that iPhoto can handle 250k pix but that has to be really slow.

I have about 10k pix in my library. Thinking about Aperture as I want more capability and prefer to stick with the Apple products instead of Lightroom.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I switched about three years ago from iPhoto to Aperture. I really like the flexibility Aperture gives you with organizing and storing things, but it did take a few weeks of using it before I felt comfortable with it.

Now's a weird time for Aperture. The current version (3) has been out for a real long time now. Hopefully the next version will be out sometime this year, but that was the hope last year too. :D

If you haven't seen the quick video tutorials Apple did for Aperture, they might be worth going through:
    http://www.apple.com/findouthow/photos/aperture.html

Edit: Also, I think Aperture and iPhoto may use similar libraries for keeping things organized, as you can open an iPhoto library in Aperture, and vice-versa. So maybe 250k photos in iPhoto wouldn't be much slower than in Aperture?

And hello from Va Beach. Are you getting a ton of snow out there tonight? :)

3. glenthompson thread starter macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Thanks for the links to the tutorials, I'll take a look at them. Also considering the Apple Pro Training Series book. It has good reviews.

No snow for me, I'm in Fl with 63 degrees outside. However a neighbor said it was starting to rain/sleet.