Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I have over 1,000 photos in my iPhoto library, and I want to put them all on the iPad I got for Christmas. I plugged it in and everything seemed to be going great, I didn't get any error messages or anything. But then I checked the photo app on the iPad and noticed a lot of pictures are missing. I checked the About window in the Settings app, and it says I only have just under 370 photos. I checked the settings in iTunes and it's set up to have everything copy. Space isn't an issue, I got the 64 GB iPad and I have 38 GB still left.

Anyone else run into this problem? Any suggested fixes? Thank you, and have a happy new year.

Last edited:

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Were all of the photos in the same format? The iPad doesn't support all formats. If this is the problem you could use an application such as "Graphic Converter" to change the format to those that are compatible. They're are other applications that will probably accomplish the same thing.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Were all of the photos in the same format? The iPad doesn't support all formats. If this is the problem you could use an application such as "Graphic Converter" to change the format to those that are compatible. They're are other applications that will probably accomplish the same thing.

I always shoot in JPEG. I double-checked a few of the photos that didn't copy and they are indeed in JPEG format.

Edit: Had an idea. This is one of the pictures that's giving me grief. Would someone mind importing it into their iPhoto library and seeing if it syncs?

Last edited:

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
I always shoot in JPEG. I double-checked a few of the photos that didn't copy and they are indeed in JPEG format.

Edit: Had an idea. This is one of the pictures that's giving me grief. Would someone mind importing it into their iPhoto library and seeing if it syncs?

Was able to open and view photo in Safari. I saved a copy to the Photos App and it opened just fine.

Last edited:

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Do you get the error "Some of your photos were not copied to the ipad because they cannot be displayed?" Or no error displayed, you just aren't seeing the pictures at all?

In either case, you may have a corrupted "iPhoto Cache" that is created every time you sync pictures to an iDevice. This is well-known support issue over on Apple's forums. Check here for how to delete the cache and then try to sync your pictures again:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1314

If that doesn't work, then you may need to try a small experiment as you could have a lot of JPEG's that aren't necessarily corrupted but are getting hung by the iOS bug that affects JPEG transfers.

1) Export some of the "missing" photo's out of iPhoto into a new folder somewhere on your desktop.
2) Delete the pictures from iPhoto (this is why you just exported them earlier so you wouldn't lose them)
3) Quit iPhoto then restart it.
4) Use iPhoto to import that folders' pictures back into your library.
5) Try to sync again...see if they transfer.

There was an issue back in Septembers' iOS update that somehow borked JPEG transfers out of iPhoto and this is one of the few known ways to get them to work again. But in MOST cases, you won't run into the error as it was allegedly resolved with iOS 5. The iPhoto cache is my best guess as to your culprit.

If you want to try some additional methods, this is a well-traveled bug path on the Apple support forums:

http://www.google.com/search?q=iPho....,cf.osb&fp=7d76c5b2ed21d0e8&biw=1440&bih=752

Last edited:

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Was able to open and view photo in Safari but i found no way to import into it into the Photos App. There could possibly be corruption in the jpg.

:eek: I hope not, that would mean more than half my iPhoto library has corruption issues.

Do you get the error "Some of your photos were not copied to the ipad because they cannot be displayed?" Or no error displayed, you just aren't seeing the pictures at all?

In either case, you may have a corrupted "iPhoto Cache" that is created every time you sync pictures to an iDevice. This is well-known support issue over on Apple's forums. Check here for how to delete the cache and then try to sync your pictures again:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1314

If that doesn't work, then you may need to try a small experiment as you could have a lot of JPEG's that aren't necessarily corrupted but are getting hung by the iOS bug that affects JPEG transfers.

1) Export some of the "missing" photo's out of iPhoto into a new folder somewhere on your desktop.
2) Delete the pictures from iPhoto (this is why you just exported them earlier so you wouldn't lose them)
3) Quit iPhoto then restart it.
4) Use iPhoto to import that folders' pictures back into your library.
5) Try to sync again...see if they transfer.

There was an issue back in Septembers' iOS update that somehow borked JPEG transfers out of iPhoto and this is one of the few known ways to get them to work again. But in MOST cases, you won't run into the error as it was allegedly resolved with iOS 5. The iPhoto cache is my best guess as to your culprit.

Following the instructions to delete the iPod photo cache seems to have worked wonders. I'll have to remember that one. Thanks so much. :)

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Glad it worked....I tend to delete my iPhoto cache every couple of months as it tends to get corrupted quite easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.