iPhoto: too many versions of same photo

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lucyk, Feb 22, 2009.

1. lucyk macrumors newbie

In the iPhoto library are THREE copies of many images: one in Data, one in Originals, one in Modified. Can I trash the original? Can I trash Data? This is all taking up a lot of room.

If i move a photo to the trash within iPhoto, it doesn't delete from the Original, Data, etc folders...

Next problem:

Within iPhoto, some of the images show up only as a thumbnail, and others only as the main image. what does this mean?

yours in frustration,
    lucy k.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

iPhoto stores images very differently from, say, My Pictures on a Windows system. When images are imported into iPhoto and in your iPhoto preferences its set to copy an added image to the library, iPhoto creates a Data file for it (which is just a thumbnail not a full-size image) and the Original file. If you make any changes to the image within iPhoto using its built-in editor, a Modified item is created. The Modified file will be displayed in place of the original, but that also means you always have the option of reverting it to the original unedited file which will delete the Modified file. If you simply move an image to the iPhoto trash, it does not do anything to the internal structure of the iPhoto library unless you empty the iPhoto trash (from under the iPhoto application menu, next to the Apple), which is a irretrievable option unless you have Time Machine or another utility running. When you do so, the Data, Original, and Modified files are also removed. If you have some images only visible as thumbnails and others as full-size, that means you or someone else has gone around rearranging stuff in the iPhoto Library. This is a big no-no. Unless you know what you renamed or moved around, you will probably have to do a manual rebuild of the library. Apple has two articles detailing how to do a manual rebuild depending on if you have version 5 or earlier or version 6 or later. Manually rebuilding the library clears most user-generated content such as albums, slideshows, books, and calendars.

3. lucyk thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

Thanks Jedi Master for your lucid reply. I will try to change my preferences.
    Of course i messed around with the iPhoto library.

4. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Now with iPhoto '09, it stores yet another image 'face'! One cropped image of the face, assuming, of course, you've taken the time to tag your photos with faces.

It's frustrating for new users getting used to the way iPhoto works (sorry, not saying your a newbie to macs or anything) but once you get used to the way it works, it works!

If you don't want multiple copies of each photo, may I suggest Picasa Beta.

Picasa monitors your folders and doesn't copy images to it's own little library. It will only make copies of your pictures if you make an edit, and then it only does so if you save the changes to disk. If you do commit changes, Picasa makes a hidden folder in the original folder containing your original pictures, which, if you don't want to keep, can simply be deleted (although you won't be able to 'revert to original' if you do).

If you have the disk space, let iPhoto get on with and try not to worry too much about the inner structure. It's annoying having mulitple images of the same image but you never know when you may want the original back!