Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
SpyMac claims that an internal iPhoto beta features some additional photo manipulation tools:

Labeled 'Trace' and currently wedged between the 'Retouch' and 'B & W' edit icons, the wand allows for chunks of pixels to be cut out from the rest of the picture -- especially helpful when removing backgrounds and entire people from images.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
is this feature available on photoshop album for pc'ers? it doesn't seem that strong a feature for photo management software. then again, i rarely use iphoto. does it have cut/paste? w/o that, trace would be kind of worthless, wouldn't it?

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Apple should just go ahead and make a consumer Photoshop. Make it a component of Appleworks 7/iWorks or whatever. I think iPhoto should be for organizing.....not for editing.

But then again, more features are always better!

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
So it selects like the magic wand in photoshop, then can tell what would be there if your selection wasn't? I'm a little unclear how this would work

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
this is awesome, i can't wait to remove whole people from my photos, maybe evenn all of the ppl.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by mactastic
So it selects like the magic wand in photoshop, then can tell what would be there if your selection wasn't? I'm a little unclear how this would work

I'd think it'd be more like the magic lasso. Hence the name "trace".

E

evilfunkgenius

I wish they would focus on making iPhoto run better (ie: optimizing the code, less invasive directory organization) before they jump into bloating it out with features.

MarkMc

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2001
Sounds great...

Now how about working on stuff we will actually use, like burning albums to VCD, borderless printing, speed, oh yeah, did I mention SPEED?

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
Can they make the thing not take 2 years to load and 5 million megs of RAM. I have a dual 867 G4 and 768 megs and the thing is bogged. Also everytime I plug in my Minolta camera it crashes on the automated attempt to import. If I force quit and then relaunch and import all is fine. It's been driving me nuts since 10.2.4.

-Tim

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by evilfunkgenius
I wish they would focus on making iPhoto run better (ie: optimizing the code, less invasive directory organization) before they jump into bloating it out with features.

Now how about working on stuff we will actually use, like burning albums to VCD, borderless printing, speed, oh yeah, did I mention SPEED?

I hardly think that it has taken this much time since the last update just to come up with the "trace" tool. I'm sure that Apple is working on the code and speed of the program. Besides, it is freeware afterall; be thankful for what Apple is GIVING you. If you want something that is fast and efficient then buy a program.

benjaminpg

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I agree apple should work more on speed and core usability issues, i.e. organizing. One thing you can do right now that speeds up iphoto quite a bit is disable the shadows. This makes a tremendous improvement in scrolling and adjusting thumbnail size.

fussball

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
Originally posted by makkystyle
I hardly think that it has taken this much time since the last update just to come up with the "trace" tool. I'm sure that Apple is working on the code and speed of the program. Besides, it is freeware afterall; be thankful for what Apple is GIVING you. If you want something that is fast and efficient then buy a program.

Though it is true they give us the software... it is also true that Apple needs strong freeware to sell its computers, since speed and cost are both worse than PC computers. Apple is known for good software to go with computers, and should focus on making that as good as possible... speeding up the program is REALLY important.. I can't so anything on my iBook 700 with iPhoto because its so slow (though it did speed up when I had to initialize my HD becuase OS X just stopped working and in turn lost 3000+ digital photos....)

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Originally posted by evilfunkgenius

I agree. iPhoto should be mainly for organization. If you need to do more than tweek photos, buy PS Elements for $100 (or PS if you've got the $$). If this program goes too far beyond what it was originally meant to be, it's going to lose some of the appeal as an easy to use piece of software for the casual user.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
i don't think that apple should encroach on adobe's territory. the apple philosophy as of late has been "build everything yourself or buy it and repackage it". we need third party developers - the top-notch third party apps are what make the mac so great and the following so loyal. that being said, i do think that there is a need for a basic paint application, it's the one feature that is noticeably absent from the mac os (unless you buy a tower and get graphic converter for free). rather than make a whole new "paint" app, iphoto seems to be a good place for these very few new features and any improvement that is in line with the app's purpose (simple retouching and painting is perfectly acceptable) is worth it.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
A few more features are a good thing. Especially as easy as Apple makes them.

My relatives (low on computer IQ) love iPhoto. They especially like how easy it is to email photos to the rest of us from iPhoto. Just imagine if iPhoto was just for organization. Like, they are going to buy Elements, open it up and edit away. (Before iPhoto, they used to send some REALLY big files.)

iPhoto could use a few more things that are easy to grasp by the majority of users. If someone really wants to do editing, it is like anything else in this world. Work up to the next specific tool. For a lot of people, this just ain't going to happen.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by benjaminpg
I agree apple should work more on speed and core usability issues, i.e. organizing. One thing you can do right now that speeds up iphoto quite a bit is disable the shadows. This makes a tremendous improvement in scrolling and adjusting thumbnail size.

yesyesyes

If Apple is going to focus an upgrade on photo manipulation then they're heading in the wrong direction.

It needs speed and better organization. I don't want to have 1 library with all the images - with 1000s of images it becomes useless, not only in finding an image but in speed of displaying them.

The new version of iPhoto would be much better off addressing those issues than worring about 'tracing'.

Now if they manage to do both - that would be great.

D

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I looked at photoshop elements, and it looked to me like it didn't do diddly: no painting tools, only very crummy enhancement tools, etc.

iPhoto should have consumer features, that people want: Greeting card printing, word balloon painting, stuff like that. I realize MGI Photosuite does stuff like that too.

An Apple person at MWNY told me that when you delete a photo from iPhoto it doesn't actually remove the image file from the hard disk. The on-disk organization is pretty cryptic, too. I think it needs (a) a database instead of a flat-file, (b) precomputed preview images for speed, (c) allow the user to store files anywhere on his hard disk that he wants, or even on CD volumes, not in mysterious directories under the home directory.

It should definitely not slow down as more photos are imported. That's poor design.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Labeled 'Trace' and currently wedged between the 'Retouch' and 'B & W' edit icons, the wand allows for chunks of pixels to be cut out from the rest of the picture -- especially helpful when removing backgrounds and [B[entire people[/B] from images.

I can just imagine Josef Stalin doing a Switch commercial about this :)

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Re: Sounds great...

Originally posted by MarkMc

Amen to that one brotha. Specially the BORDERLESS PRINTING!!!! Part (sorry I yelled just seeing if my friends over there in Cupertino can hear me.)

ultrafiel

macrumors member
May 19, 2002
iPhoto

I don't care about any retouching tools as I use as my job involves using Photoshop everyday. I can see basic tools for the average user, but not if it sacrifices speed. I'm with you all, give us speed please! Also I find the organization strange, and I don't like where my photos go. The biggest thing I want those is the ability to have a burn CD of an album but have it come out in a hybrid CD. Only a few of my family and friends own a mac, so what good will a HFS+ CD do them? Nothing! VCD would be pretty cool, but I just want to be able to burn so I can give a disk to my pc friends, instead of tracking down the files and then burning in toast. And everything go send your suggestions to Apple. There is a nice place to provide feedback in the iPhoto menu.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Removing all the people...

Originally posted by Kwyjibo
this is awesome, i can't wait to remove whole people from my photos, maybe evenn all of the ppl.

Hehe; you're a funny guy... :D

So, have a try! :p

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
Stalin - he he he

Phil of Mac you just beat me to it - damn

How about i-stalin, remove unloved relatives, deceased pets and other out-of-favor persons :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.