iPhoto transfer to new imac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andyffer, Oct 29, 2009.

1. andyffer macrumors member

So here is what I am planning on doing. I want to get all my photos on the hard drive and just have the slideshows on the old imac and new imac (coming soon 27") So obviously I will have to keep the photos that are on the slideshows on the computer but thats like half the photos.

So should I do what I read and just drag the "iPhoto Library" to the hard drive? Then what? Can I just open that on the new one and all the photos will come up? Now if I plug it into a different computer to I have to put the entire library onto the computer or will i be able to just get pictures from a certain event or along those lines?

Also, I have the newest iPhoto and will the pictures still work with the older iphoto?

Thoughts on what I should do?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

That's exactly what you do.

Also, when you connect your old Mac to your new one, it will give you the option to transfer everything for you.

3. andyffer thread starter macrumors member

but then I wont be able to open certain pictures up without loading the ENTIRE library right?

4. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Or you can export each event you want to keep to the external hard drive and then import these events to the iPhoto library on the new Mac. This takes more time but it will be worth it if you really want to get rid of the other photos.