iPhoto - Triplicate Film Rolls

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kyag, Aug 19, 2008.

1. kyag macrumors newbie

A few months ago we installed Leopard (had Panther), then installed iLife 06. All our photo rolls (from iLife 05) are now triplicated, and I'm not sure which roll I should keep and which two I should delete.

IE:
    Roll 1
    Roll 1_1
    Roll 1_2

All the images in Roll 1 appear to be very small file sizes - maybe thumbnails? Roll 1_1 might be modified photos and Roll 1_2 might be the originals - the difference between Roll 1_1 and Roll 1_2 appears to be Roll 1_2 has all photos while 1_1 is missing some I probably deleted (blurred photos, etc.) The photos that are the same between these two roll copies are slightly different file sizes i.e 1 MB vs 1.2 MB. All 3 folders - "Data", "Originals" and "Modified" contain the triplicated rolls.

Any idea what is going on and how to best fix this? I have a few hundred rolls...all in triplicate now...

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Stay out of the finder. Don't worry about what's in there. The files in there are needed to allow iPhoto to work. Only delete from the app itself. If there are not duplicates in there, then you don't have duplicates.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Hear, hear! If you are not seeing the triplicates IN iPHOTO, leave them alone! :D

4. kyag thread starter macrumors newbie

Should have explained more - they are triplicate in iPhoto. I just went into Finder after to see what was going on.

So, there is the normal 'triplicate' - putting the photo in three files: original, modified and data; but additionally there are 3 of each roll within iPhoto (and within each of the three folders).