iPhoto type app but also handles other files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macstatic, Sep 27, 2013.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

Is there an app available similar to iPhoto which can also store other (non-photo) formats such as PDF, RTF, plain text and web-location files?

I often find myself storing files related to photos (or music in the case of iTunes) and like the concept of these apps but at the same time find them too restrictive in terms of accepting files.

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I have no personal experience but would expect that a document management system like DevonThink Pro would handle that for you.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Good suggestion. DevonThink is a great general purpose document database... and can easily handle the type of files the OP has indicated.

/Jim

4. iDento macrumors regular

iDento

iDocument

iDocument is the best IMO, simple, beautiful design and functional. IcyBlaze (the developers) are advertising the app as an iPhoto for document, it cost 50$ though.

5. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

It actually turns out I already had a license for both iDocument and Devonthink as part of some bundles I bought, but never really knew what they were for.
    Having tried them both now I agree that iDocument's user intrface is very easy on the eyes and comfortable to use but unfortunately doesn't handle some file formats (.GIF and .MP4 to mention a couple) so that's a no go for me :mad:

On the other hand; Devonthink is butt-ugly (perhaps due to having an older 1.9 version) but has handled all the formats I've thrown at it so far. Too bad it doesn't have the user interface of iDocument though.

I haven't tried out those other apps suggested though, so that might be worth looking into. Thanks for your suggestions!