iPhoto unwanted deleting from Flickr

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arogge, Jul 12, 2012.

1. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I've been trying the iPhoto sharing feature with Flickr, and hit an annoying problem. When I try to delete files from iPhoto to save space, iPhoto insists on logging on to Flickr and deleting what I uploaded. There doesn't appear to be a way to tell iPhoto to stop doing that. When I try to delete the files, iPhoto says:

"Are you sure you want to delete the selected items? Some have been shared and will be removed from Flickr."

Yes, and no! Nobody told you to remove anything from anywhere but iPhoto! This goes in the list with Faces, a useless feature that has no button to turn it off. Who puts these involuntary features into the software? The only thing I may be able to do is to hide the files from iPhoto by moving them somewhere else on my Flickr account, and hope that iPhoto doesn't figure out what I did. Is the source code for iPhoto available somewhere? It needs some trimming!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Isn't syncing between iPhoto and Flickr the point of using that feature? If it is, then the behavior is obvious. De-link iPhoto from your Flickr account and you won't have that problem.

3. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

No, IPhoto said that it was going to publish my iPhoto photos to Flickr. It didn't say that syncing was mandatory. The menu is called Share, not Sync. There's nothing wrong with making that optional, but it shouldn't hold your files hostage unless you agree to delete them from the Web. That's dumb programming. It would be as dumb as connecting a sync-configured iPod that was accidentally wiped, and having iTunes delete everything from your PC's iTunes library, and then find every other sync-configured device over the Internet and delete your iTunes files from those devices too.