iPhoto update image database

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nmourtos, May 13, 2008.

1. nmourtos macrumors newbie

The problem I am having is this. Let's say I have a dir named /pics (full of photos) and I have imported this dir into iPhoto. If i delete a photo from this directory (via finder), when i open up iPhoto the thumbnail of this photo is still in the database/event folder/whatever. When i attempt to view the image IN iPhoto (by double clicking) i get a 'file not found' and it asks if i would like to attempt to find it manually.

Is there any iPhoto function that basically goes through all photos (or thumbnails) in iPhoto and makes sure they are not pointing to a non existent file? I really prefer an iPhoto function solution rather than introducing a 3rd party application solution.

I have tried rebuilding (by holding command + option when opening iPhoto) the database,thumbnails and whatever else it gave me the option to rebuild, but to no avail. I have tried searching google and this forum not apparently not hard enough.

Do i have to manually go through the iPhoto picture sets and delete the thumbnail/photo everytime? Suggestions like: 'do not delete images via finder, just delete the originals through iPhoto' are appreciated, but do not answer the question asked above. Some relevant info: i set it so iPhoto does not create duplicates of imported images.

Also, if I'm misunderstanding something about how iPhoto manages the photos (which is leading me to assume or do something incorrectly) pipe up! Any help at all would be appreciated.

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

If you delete the photo from within iPhoto and put it in the iPhoto trash, then empty that trash, the photo should be gone. If you don't go through iPhoto, then iPhoto continues to look in your library in finder for it (the alias remains in iPhoto so that is why you can still select it), and finding nothing in the library, gives you the error message you mentioned. Just delete into iPhoto's trash and then empty and you should be good to go.