iPhoto versus PS Elements

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tomegun, Mar 5, 2012.

1. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

I take pics with my Canon DSLR and Sony point and shoot. I use iPhoto currently, but I'm wondering if I will find any value with PS Elements. I want to learn how to touch up my photos, but I'm concerned with integration with my iPhones, iPad, etc.

What are the benefits or downfalls of getting PS Elements for someone who is a rookie with a camera?

2. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

iPhoto is a photo importer and organiser, whereas Photoshop Elements is a photo editor, with none of the management options of iPhoto.

You might want to check out Apple's Aperture, which is a nice balance between the two.

3. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I concur with Aidoneus.

Elements will not give you the organizational abilities that iPhoto has.

However, more powerful editing can be performed with Elements.

If you prefer the ability to use iPhoto and sync to other Apple devices, you can still use iPhoto, but set Elements (or any other application) as an "external editor".

See:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2419

4. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

Thank you both! I didn't know I could have the organization of iPhoto and open other apps for editing. That is great.

5. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

How does Aperture compare with iPhoto and PS Elements? Is the combination of iPhoto and PS Elements superior to using Aperture?

6. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

That's something thatcan only really be answered by you; we don't know your needs or workflow.

Aperture certainly has a free trial, and I would imagine Photoshop Elements does too. I'd recommend trying them both out for a couple of weeks each, and seeing how you feel then.

7. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

Fair enough. I just want my pictures to be organized, look better and have the ability to share them (email, facebook, etc.) efficiently. I will look into the trial versions of Aperture (I will probably buy this for sure) and PS Elements.

Thanks for the information.

8. HeadGear macrumors member

9. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

Far superior to PS Elements? Can it be used as an editing app for Aperture?

10. HeadGear macrumors member

I believe so.