iPhoto vs. Aperture?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by deckerinn, Apr 22, 2012.

1. deckerinn macrumors newbie

Dear members.

I do have iPhoto and Aperture.

I am wondering which program is better for default importing photos from iPhone, iPad and cameras in general. I know that Aperture is more advanced for serious photographers or those who has photography as their interests. But I would like to know which row should i process the photos from beginning. Now iPhoto is default importer but am wondering if I should import via Aperture then iPhoto and create events? Could you advice me?:confused:

Br, Deckerinn

2. belvdr macrumors 603

3. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

The key differences are probably in library management and adjustments...

Library management: iPhoto will automatically organize your photos to some extent by event, location, face detection etc. Aperture requires you to setup and maintain your library structure yourself and in doing so can provide more flexibility and create more work.

Adjustments: Aperture offers a great deal more adjustment controls and brushes but that requires more time and investment to learn and use. iPhoto is simpler and easier.

So you have to ask yourself, what level of investment are you willing to make and/or how much do you want to simplify things.

I think if you're just working with JPEGs from a variety of point and shoot cameras... iPhoto is great. If you want to work with RAW images, then Aperture is almost a must.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Aperture is just the more full-featured version iPhoto, as mentioned. What you should not do is use both at the same time, or on the same photos. Pick one. Because iPhoto and Aperture both use databases to keep track of where the photos are and what edits have been done to them - and they don't use the same database - any changes made by one application will not be seen by the other. So if you adjust the exposure using Aperture, those changes will not be seen in iPhoto. And if you physically move the photo, then one or both of the applications may lose track of where the photo is.

Luck.

5. Keleko macrumors 68000

I know of someone that uses Lightroom for all the editing/cataloging work, but he then exports to iPhoto for the final showing version. So he uses iPhoto as a portfolio showing mechanism and Lightroom for workflow. You could use Aperture and iPhoto in a similar manner, if you wanted to use both. I just use Aperture for my own stuff. I'll create a smart album from a project to show just the images worthy of showing.

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I made the switch from iPhoto to Aperture and import everything into Aperture. However, I still use iPhoto as my organizational tool for the iPad.