iPhoto vs aperture

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Warpyb1, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Warpyb1 macrumors newbie

Dear all - I currently have a new mbp 13" 2012 i5 4gb ram - moving from my previous core 2 duo I am finding some issues with speed of iPhoto. Since moving the library I have noticed that the data base is reporting at over 90gb. Which, seems a little exsessive but I do keep a lot of photos.
    With that in mind iPhoto is really sluggish when scrolling up and down and in addition to that seems to hog a lot of memory and CPU when running. I have tryed a rebuild / repair of the library which has improved things slightly but I was wondering if there is any speed improvement in switching to aperture ?

Thanks in advance.

Mick

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Aperture on my 3.2 ghz iMac is way slower than I'd like. Maybe YMMV. Check out Lightroom 4 as well.

Rob

3. njean777 macrumors 6502

I run aperture daily and have never noticed any slowdown at all. Although I have not used iPhoto since I got aperture which has been about a year. You may want to try the lightroom 4 demo also before going to aperture. Aperture is great, but if you use the lightroom demo you will see what you are in for with aperture. It is more advanced, but also just as simple. I prefer aperture myself and would always recommend it over iPhoto if you keep a lot of photos and like to edit them.

4. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Aperture is an extremely bloated application. I find iPhoto far faster than Aperture, though I only really use Aperture. I would not recommend using Aperture if iPhoto is too slow.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I also think that Aperture flies. I do suggest shutting off faces, which is a pretty useless, but processor intensive feature. Tagging is a better option in most cases. If you already have a faces identified in your library... it is trivial to convert to tags.

Aperture 3.3 was just released which was a pretty major change. It seems to speed things up quite a bit.

Because A3 has so many features... it grows quite nicely as your needs grow. It is also very easy to reformat your photo database to match the way you like to work.

There are a few things you really should take the time to learn with A3. The difference between masters and versions... projects and albums... stack pics and album pics... using folders to focus the scope of searches... etc. Once you really understand the basics, you really learn how powerful, yet easy the program can be.

/Jim

6. OCICILIONI macrumors member

re: Iphoto vs aperture

Iphoto is really for everyday use while Aperture is more for the professional photographer