iPhoto VS Aperture

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by X-JRO, Feb 10, 2010.

1. X-JRO macrumors member

Hey guys

I just wanted to see everyone's thoughts on iPhoto vs Aperture for photo library and such. I'm by no means professional but iPhoto is kinda slow and clunky. I'm running '08, I was going to wait till '10 but clearly that might never happen.

V3 is only 199 US or is my money better spent on the 'new' iLife.

Cheers

2. perryj macrumors member

Do you shoot RAW or jpeg ?
    manual or Auto ?

It depends on how much control you want in post processing.......

the more post processing you do the more you want to lean toward Aperture:D

3. spacedcadet macrumors regular

4. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

I actually been looking into RAW, but the processing scares me. I'm thinking I need to take the leap.

I'm aware of but, not familiar with Lightroom, care to elaborate?

5. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

if you don't shoot in raw, chances are you aren't the type of person that needs to be using Aperture or Lightroom over iPhoto.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

7. grapii macrumors member

I too am looking for some advice regarding iPhoto vs Aperture.

I'm no pro photographer, not even a semi-amateur, all I do is take family shots. Over the last few years, I've accumulated over 12000 photos, mainly of the kids.

I hardly do any retouching, just the occasional red-eye, add brightness or darkness....basic stuff really.

What I am looking for is a organiser that can handle not only the current set of photos, but as the collection grows to be able to keep up.

And must be easy to use.

I know in iPhoto you can split the library (iPhoto Library Manager) if it becomes too clunky, but I don't really want to do that....want to keep it simple in one place and again easy to use.

I read this about Aperture "All the tools to manage a giant library - When your photos number in the thousands, you need easier ways to find what you’re looking for..", and "Never run out of hard drive space - As your iPhoto library grows, it may become too big to store on your computer’s hard drive."

So the question is for my needs, which offers the best organisation features? How many can iPhoto handle compared to Aperture before it becomes slugish?

Thanks