iPhoto vs Photos app

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by joejoejoe, Jun 13, 2014.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Hearing that Photos now replaces iPhoto.

Few questions:

What exactly do people mean when they say "iPhoto no longer works"?

Does all of the functionality from iPhoto get passed on to photos? I use iPhoto daily, and the brushes tools are extremely useful and well designed. Is this completely thrown out in Photos app??

Thanks

2. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I do not have iOS 8 but Photos App will allow for third party filters and edit tools. I believe iPhotos is dead for both OS X and iOS, honestly I am happy about that.

3. afsnyder macrumors 65816

As long as everything from iPhoto is ported nicely over to the new Photos app on OS X then I have no problem doing the same on iOS (because I don't use iPhoto on iOS)

4. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Is there anyone who's using iOS 8 that can verify?

Interested in what people mean when they say it doesn't work.

And if we lost the brushes functionality--sad sad day. It's incredibly powerful, like a mini lightroom. Stronger features than the desktop iPhoto.

5. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

I hope they at least salvage the iOS 7 iPhoto icon and use that as the default Photos icon. Always thought it looked better than the rainbow flower pedals.

6. na1577 macrumors 6502a

I'd love to answer your question, but the App Store is extremely buggy in iOS 8 and I can't even get iPhoto to download on my device.

According to this article, the app does not launch at all and simply prompts the user to open Photos instead.

7. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Why I try to download iPhoto on iOS 8, it says my OS is not compatible with the current version of the app

8. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

Craig's Photos for Mac App demo showed the rainbow flower petal icon in the dock, and if they are using the iOS photos icon on the Mac version of the app, then you can bet they will use the same rainbow flower petal icon for iOS photos as well.

9. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

Well I know that, but the OS X Photos app isn't coming out until 2015 which gives them plenty of time to change things around.

I think the iPhoto icon is a better metaphor for a photos app than the rainbow flower pedals and since it seems that the new Photos app will end up replacing iPhoto, why not save the original icon, tweak it and use it for both the OS X and iOS versions?

10. 3282868 macrumors 603

I've read this on MacRumors a few times but I must have missed the announcement during the keynote. What does this mean? Is Apple ditching iPhoto in OS X with a planned revamp "Photos" app next year? If so, that's a ways off.

As for iOS, iPhoto won't download/install; if Apple plans on making iOS Photo's the core app, there's a lot yet to be added. Syncing iPhoto events via iTunes just puts those photo's in the "Recently Added" album (formerly "Camera Roll"). I had to select and create albums manually on my iPhone 5s. Assuming this is Apple's plan, what will happen when iOS 8 is launched? How will photo's sync? iCloud?

11. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I'm just so glad iPhoto is dead, I've never liked that app on Mac or iOS.

Sure we'll be missing some functionality in Photos, but a lot of it was gimmicky anyway and over time they'll add some of it back in anyway.

12. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

I disagree. The brushes we're extremely powerful for a five dollar app. Very nuanced controls, great white balance manipulation, edge detection that was not horrible in the least.

I don't know of any other app that can math any of that.

Sad.

13. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I find the combination of VSCO and Snapseed to be more intuitive, if not more powerful, than iPhoto ever was.

The fact that we can now bring up these editors right within the Photos app when those apps create their extensions, is going to be pretty amazing.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think the Photos icon is one of the better looking ones. The iPhoto icon looks like they weren't even trying. Apple's iOS8 site says they kept the Photos icon which makes me happy.

15. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

iPhoto not launching is listed under 'known issues' for iOS 8 Beta 1. Does this mean it is a bug then and it will be fixed by release?

16. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

iPhoto on iOS always felt half-assed.

There was no way to sync projects with iPhoto on the desktop and sync adjustments, etc.

It was slow and clunky, even on faster iOS hardware.

It needs to die; however the Photos app really needs more features and improvements to catch up to what iPhoto could do, even with its flaws.