Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Which do you prefer? They both seem to have features that the other lacks. One thing I wish Photos had was the ability to email photos as this seems ti be lacking, unless I missed something. You may respond and say that E-mail is dead, but then I will respond and tell you that I usually do not use social networking or image sharing sites (Flickr) to store photos. So for that reason I am using iPhoto, however its sluggish and kinda buggy. When Photos gets better I think I may switch.

One annoying bug in iPhoto is when I try and share images to Messages I sometimes get a message "Cant communicate with helper application" and it gets tiresome. Any ideas?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
One thing I wish Photos had was the ability to email photos as this seems ti be lacking

As far as I can tell it works exactly the same way as in iPhoto (select pictures, click the Share button, choose Mail).

I am not a power user of either program, so I do not have strong feelings about them (I have iPhoto on one machine and Photos on another).

A.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
As far as I can tell it works exactly the same way as in iPhoto (select pictures, click the Share button, choose Mail).

I am not a power user of either program, so I do not have strong feelings about them (I have iPhoto on one machine and Photos on another).

A.

I am unable to even see a Mail icon in the share menu. I tried to enable it in the system prefs but the mail checkmark is greyed out. So why I use iPhoto.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I am unable to even see a Mail icon in the share menu. I tried to enable it in the system prefs but the mail checkmark is greyed out. So why I use iPhoto.
I just switched full time to Photos and find it meets my needs okay. I figured it was inevitable anyway, so may as well bite the bullet and make the change.

I can email photos from the share sheet in Photos. Not sure why you don't see it if you have it turned on is System Prefs.

Screen Shot 2016-03-12 at 12.20.47 PM.png

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008

In my Extensions Preferences the box for mail (and Airdrop and Messages) is checked and grayed out which I interpret to mean it cannot be disabled. I do not know what has happened in your case.

A.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
In my Extensions Preferences the box for mail (and Airdrop and Messages) is checked and grayed out which I interpret to mean it cannot be disabled. I do not know what has happened in your case.

A.

Its greyed out in my case and I think the problem is because in Apple Mail I am unable to set the default email app to anything but Thunderbird. For some reason Thunderbird has locked down the default email app, and even when I try and select either Mail or Outlook the selection goes back to Thunderbird. Do you know how to fix this?
[doublepost=1457819091][/doublepost]
I just switched full time to Photos and find it meets my needs okay. I figured it was inevitable anyway, so may as well bite the bullet and make the change.

I can email photos from the share sheet in Photos. Not sure why you don't see it if you have it turned on is System Prefs.

View attachment 620839

Thunderbird has taken control as the default email app and WILL NOT allow me to select another email client in the apple mail prefs.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
For some reason Thunderbird has locked down the default email app, and even when I try and select either Mail or Outlook the selection goes back to Thunderbird. Do you know how to fix this?

Is there a setting in Thunderbird which has it check to see if it is the default email client, and if not, sets itself to be? (in some versions of Thunderbird, this can be found in 'System Integration').

Otherwise, I know how *I* would approach the problem, but I do not know how well you like Thunderbird... :)

A.

Reactions: Weaselboy

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Is there a setting in Thunderbird which has it check to see if it is the default email client, and if not, sets itself to be? (in some versions of Thunderbird, this can be found in 'System Integration').

Otherwise, I know how *I* would approach the problem, but I do not know how well you like Thunderbird... :)

A.

Not that I know of. I may need to post on the Thunderbird Usenet group. No Thunderbird is an excellent client that I use regularly. It has features that Mail lacks and works better with copy and pasting a word document into a email message. Apple Mail jumbles up the Word document, but in Thunderbird the fonts and styles remain intact.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Its greyed out in my case and I think the problem is because in Apple Mail I am unable to set the default email app to anything but Thunderbird. For some reason Thunderbird has locked down the default email app, and even when I try and select either Mail or Outlook the selection goes back to Thunderbird. Do you know how to fix this?
[doublepost=1457819091][/doublepost]

Thunderbird has taken control as the default email app and WILL NOT allow me to select another email client in the apple mail prefs.

Yeah... that does sound like the problem, but I sure don't know the fix. Sorry.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
jwolf wrote:
"Its greyed out in my case and I think the problem is because in Apple Mail I am unable to set the default email app to anything but Thunderbird. For some reason Thunderbird has locked down the default email app, and even when I try and select either Mail or Outlook the selection goes back to Thunderbird"

When Thunderbird is first launched, I believe it presents the user with a dialog that (in effect) says something like "make Thunderbird your default email app?", with the default option already checked. If you DIDN'T set this properly at Thunderbird's first launch, not sure how to change it afterwards.

BUT ...

There's a workaround you should try.
Here's what to do:
(Note: if you're running El Capitan, you might have to turn off System Integrity Protection to install this. That's ok -- install it, then turn SIP back on)

1. Download the RCDefaultApp preference pane:
http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/

2. Install it into your System Preferences
NOTE: I don't recall if it comes with an installer that "installs itself". If not, it should go to your Library/PreferencePanes folder (NOT the one in your home folder, but the one at the "top level" of your files).

3. Reboot.

4. Now, do this:
a. Open System Preferences and go to the Default Apps pane
b. Select "internet" if it isn't already chosen
c. Click "email" below
d. From the "Default Application" popup menu, pick Mail.

TRY THIS -- there's a good chance that it will work for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.