iPhoto vs Picasa vs Bibble

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Romulus, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Romulus macrumors regular

I'm getting the new Macbook Air (1.6/4gb ram) and was figuring which software I will focus on... on a PC, I was happy with Picasa in combination with minor Photoshop... I have a 10000 picture library probably, growing fast. I shoot Canon with 12 mp images, only rarely RAW, and my memory of iPhoto was constant 1 sec pause of bringing up edited images when previewing albums later... I'm looking for speed - some reviews say Picasa is faster then iPhoto on a Mac... please advise...

PS: Here's a sunset HDR picture I just got...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      97.8 KB
      Views:
  2. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

Picasa is really pretty good. It automatically finds all the pictures in your drive You don't have to go through the whole import thing. Also, you won't end up with pictures buried in a bunch of folders.

3. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

If you're happy with your Picasa + Photoshop combination and the fact that you mostly don't shoot RAW makes me think you should just stick to it. You can still use iPhoto when you want to create calendars, greeting cards and books: simply import the photos you want to use into iPhoto. I use Aperture and that's how I usually make calendars on my Mac.

4. Romulus thread starter macrumors regular

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Bibble is a pro app such as Aperture or Lightroom and primarily supposed to handle RAW files. I'm not sure it's a good fit, especially if you're happy with Picasa and don't feel limited in one way or another. If you want to try it, go ahead. But then I'd recommend that you download trials of Aperture and Lightroom as well.

If I were you, I'd try iPhoto and Picasa. Give iPhoto some more time and see how you like it. It's a very neat app.