iPhoto... where do the pictures go?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bisz, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Bisz macrumors regular

Howdy,

So, today for the first time I used iPhoto to import pictures off of a camera instead of manually copying them to my Photo folder and then using iPhoto to get them from there. So, my question is, where did those pictures go? I'm hoping that they are stored in some folder somewhere (which I have been unable to find) and that they are NOT just part of the monstrous "iPhoto Library" file in the Photos folder where I can't actually get at them.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In this wonderful little vault like file that can be backed up for safe keeping or not, if you're so inclined.
    Screen shot 2010-07-24 at 1.50.11 PM.jpg

Your originals are copied to this "container" so your originals aren't ever really touched. You may find this link helpful. I did when I first saw it.
    http://echoone.com/filejuicer/iphoto

3. Bisz thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. :)

So, this File Juicer app will let me extract the original pics from the iPhoto Library file?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well that is really if you need to but why would you need to? Just open up iPhoto and export. That was just a link someone ponied up when another poster asked about losing originals and recalling that iPhoto copies the originals.

5. Bisz thread starter macrumors regular

Ha.

Export is all I needed, I just want to get at the pictures themselves. Thanks.

I'm really having a hard time with iTunes and now iPhoto. The software does for me a lot of the things I want to do myself and I find that quite annoying. For example I'll go in and delete some pictures from a folder... but they are still present in iPhoto. :( Or I rename some photos to change the order in which they appear... but iPhoto still keeps them in the old order.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Drag the file you want from iPhoto interface. Easy. Or right click and "show file location"

2. You delete images from iPhoto under the "Photos" tab. It'll ask you whether you want to delete the original.

and stop messing with the original files.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Let iPhoto work for you and not against you.
    Import your photos and work inside iPhoto to figure out your flow. You will get the hang of it, trust me. iPhoto was one of the easier applications to use right out of the box.

What I highly recommend is determine early on how you'll categorize your photos. I did not do this and 15 years later I am stuck with a cluster ******* of negatives, CDs, DVDs, and hard drives. It's a mess and I regret not going in early on and deciding how I'd manage my flow. iPhoto is great until you reach a point where you feel you'd like more control over your workflow, then graduating may be key but let's not put the cart before the horse.

8. Bisz thread starter macrumors regular

Not the advice I was looking for, but thanks. :rolleyes:

Jessica, I would have no problem having it work for me if I knew what it was doing behind the scenes, just like when I take my car for service I expect to be told what they are going to do to it, or when a repairman comes to fix something I expect them to tell me what they will do.

9. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Maybe not, but, if you start messing with the files within the various iPhoto folders, you can seriously mess things up.

10. Bisz thread starter macrumors regular

In that case I think I'm better off not using iPhoto at all and just using Finder + a good image viewer to manage my photos. Not really an option when it comes to music because I need iTunes to synchronize with my phone and pad but iPhoto I can entirely do without.

Thanks guys/gals. :)