iPhoto with images on a NAS?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FortWorthMac, Aug 7, 2011.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Since space is somewhat tighter on my 2011 MBA I just want to make sure one can use iPhoto with the images on a mounted device (server/NAS) type environment.

I'm assuming one can but another question is, will those images be any way copied to the local drive? Like I mentioned, space is a ilttle at a premium.

Thanks

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

As long as you have write access to it, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. A location is a location, as far as iPhoto is concerned.

Just move your iPhoto library file over to the NAS drive.

Username\Pictures\iPhoto Library

When you open up iPhoto it won't find it in its old location, so you'll have to browse to the NAS drive. It will default to that "new" file next time.

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

It works. I did it but went back to having my photos on my internal drive.

Performance was just horrible with accessing the NAS over WiFi and using regular HDs.

4. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks All.

I use Picasa on my iMac and that is where my pics are. I've loaded Picasa on my MBA and pointed the watch folder to the iMac. I was just thinking about giving iPhoto a try.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IIRC that location needs to have support for some features unique to HFS+ so if it is an SMB/CIFS only NAS you may have some issues if you don't embed your library in a DMG/sparsebundle.

I was looking at the disk usage on my MB and about 25% of it is my large iPhoto library. I'd really like to centralize this somehow... so I can free up space on both notebooks.

My NAS is a Windows Home Server box, though I just picked up a WD My Book Live to take over Time Machine duty.

Is Aperture any better at this?

B

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I ran into an issue with aperture on a NAS because it did not support AFP and aperture wouldn't allow me to access my library that was copied to the NAS.

I returned that model (seagate black armor) and purchased a QNAP. I can now use aperture with the library out on the NAS.