Iphoto won't copy certain photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by melissadevo, Sep 17, 2012.

1. melissadevo macrumors newbie

I'm new to MAC and am trying to get my head around some things. I have some jpeg files most imported to iphoto just fine but there are loads that just imported part of the picture. For example on a portrait pic I can only see the top of the persons head. I download them from my canon camera via USB cable. Any thoughts?:rolleyes:

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

It's been a while since I used iPhoto, but I can tell you that almost all of the folks in this forum use card readers to transfer photos from their cameras to the computer. I don't know the reason for it, but connecting directly to the camera seems to be full of bugs. My SD card reader is from Hoodman and cost around $20. Works every time.

Dale

3. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

Never had this problem either. As Designer Dale mentioned a card reader may be the solution. Did you try a different USB cable? I always use the iMac built-in SD card reader to import and it works flawlessly.

If that doesn't work...I think more information is needed:

What Mac are you using and which OS (operating system)?
    What version of iPhoto?
    Camera model number?
    Etc, Etc...?

There are often many variables to a problem like this so the more information the better.

Good luck.

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Note to Melissa: Don't take this personally, but the proper spelling is "Mac". MAC is a computer anachronism for Media Access Controller, a chip on the networking card of every computer and other networkable device regardless of manufacture. Every device on a network has a unique "MAC Address" that leads information back to it over the network.

Dale

5. melissadevo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both (especially for my faux pas! :eek:). In the future I will most certainly use a card reader. I had one but it broke and everyone I know just use a USB and connect their camera direct to their computer. To be honest I didn't even know I had a slot on the Mac!!! I found it yesterday!! Anyway I called Mac and they said there was nothing I could do with the pictures that they have been corrupt and that I needed to reformat the sd card.

So again thank you for helping.
    Melissa

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

If you haven't already formatted that card, wait until you try this. Insert the card into either the SD slot on your Mac or into a USB reader. When iPhoto opens, there should be an import window with something like "Don't Import Duplicates" checked by default. Remove the check and see if iPhoto will reimport those messed up images correctly. They may be OK on the card but messed up by the first import.

And welcome.

Edit: For future reference, don't delete the images on the card in the computer. When you put the card back into the camera, use its menus to format it. This will ensure that the card is properly prepared for use on the camera.

Dale

7. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

This is good advice from Dale and while you're at it just a suggestion...

People have a number of different personal preferences for back-ups. Myself, I do a full system back-up to an external HDD using Time Machine. Everytime I load photos, I do a separate back-up to a second external HDD of just my photos. I do this from the card after importing and before removing anything from the card. That way if I have a problem with importing (or other) I'll have a copy of what was on the card in addition to the system back-up.

My photos are the only thing that can't be replaced.