iPhoto won't launch in new user accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nzg, Jan 13, 2009.

1. nzg macrumors newbie

The situation is as follows:

Intel-based iMac running 10.5.6
    iPhoto launches normally and without error in the main (original) user account.

When subsequent accounts are created and logged into, iPhoto is shown on the dock and finder with the generic app icon. When clicked, the icon bounces once, and nothing happens. All other iLife apps operate normally.

Once switched back to main user account, iPhoto icon shows normally in the dock/finder, and operates normally.

Here's everything I've tried, to no avail:
    Starting the computer in secondary account rather than main
    repaired disk permissions
    rebuilt directory (via disk warrior)
    created several test accounts, and found that iPhoto never loaded in any of them
    Deleted com.apple.iLife08.plist from Library folder
    deleted iphoto preferences from each user/library/preferences

The only thing I haven't done is reinstall ilife, the reason being that I don't believe it's an issue with iphoto itself, but rather a directory issue.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, it would be very appreciated!

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Trying running the Console application (in Applications>Utilities) and look in the console message log to see if there are any clues in there

3. nzg thread starter macrumors newbie

Two attempts to open:

1/13/09 1:23:19 PM iPhoto[20171] Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting
    1/13/09 1:23:20 PM com.apple.launchd[20020] ([0x0-0x9cc9cc].com.apple.iPhoto[20171]) Exited with exit code: 1
    1/13/09 1:23:22 PM iPhoto[20173] Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting
    1/13/09 1:23:22 PM com.apple.launchd[20020] ([0x0-0x9ce9ce].com.apple.iPhoto[20173]) Exited with exit code: 1

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

From Googling this error message, there seem to have been some issues with previous versions of iLife around permissions issues, which were solved by reinstalling the iLife suite. There aren't any mentions of this with iLife08, but I would suggest a re-install of iLife might be worth a shot

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Probably not it, but make sure iPhoto is in /Applications, not ~/Applications (off Root, not the User directory).

6. nzg thread starter macrumors newbie

No, properly placed in the Root...