iPhoto won't open

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Achiever, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I recently set up an old MBP for my wife to use. I wiped the drive and fresh installed Lion and iLife '11, which I had on the official, legit, Apple purchased, CD installation disk. Because I bought it soon after it was released, the version of iPhoto on the disk is the original 9.0.

When I run Software Update, it does not prompt an update for iPhoto. Yet when we try to launch iPhoto, it refused to load. Instead, a dialogue box appears saying a more recent version is available and must be downloaded through Software Update which, as I mentioned, doesn't recognize or update iPhoto, making the app unusable. All of the other iLife apps open, work and are their most updated versions through SU.

Any thoughts on where to go from here? I haven't yet tried trashing iPhoto and reinstalling, but I will as last resort. Thanks in advance.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Download iPhoto 9.2.3 direct from Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1514

Not sure why Software Update isn't showing updates for 9.0, but I've seen that several times now.

jW

3. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

Thanks I will try that. I tried downloading 9.3 directly from Apple and it wouldn't let me as I didn't have an earlier version (I believe 9.1.x). I couldn't find earlier versions than the current one on Apple's site. I will give this a go.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

5. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

Thank you both. Your downloads did the trick.