iPhoto wont recognize digital camera

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
My camera had the same problem.

I accidently had the USB mode on the camera set to DPOF (direct to printer) mode instead of to DCS (camera to PC) mode.

When I switched the modes, iPhoto recognized my camera.

Don't know if that helps you.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Also, try running the program Image Capture in your Utilities folder, and see if *that* recognizes your camera. You should not need a driver of any sort to get your camera and iPhoto to talk.

EDIT: Also, while you're in this app, go to preferences, and make sure the first tab says to open iPhoto when a camera is plugged in. That's the first tab in the IMAGE CAPTURE preferences...sometimes Apple puts prefs in sneaky places! :eek:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
tymaishu2 said:
iPhoto isnt recognizing my Pentax Optio S5i. I have installed the included driver, but it still wont see it
My recommendation is to do everything that others suggested above. If your camera supports USB automount, then it should work. However, it is troubling that Pentax lists "MacOS 8.6 or later" for your camera's Mac compatibility. For this camera, Pentax does not admit to the existence of MacOS 9, let alone MacOS X.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
MisterMe said:
My recommendation is to do everything that others suggested above. If your camera supports USB automount, then it should work. However, it is troubling that Pentax lists "MacOS 8.6 or later" for your camera's Mac compatibility. For this camera, Pentax does not admit to the existence of MacOS 9, let alone MacOS X.
Sometimes it's soooooo much trouble to go in and update that file! :eek: I can just hear their tech support, "Oh yeah, Macs were these computers they used to sell in the 80's. They don't make them anymore, but we decided to provide legacy support."

But a quick Google seemed to indicate that there are people out there, using this camera with iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.