iPhoto won't update dates in library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ccalleri, Jul 1, 2009.

1. ccalleri macrumors member

When I update/change the dates pictures were taken on in iPhoto, they remain in the folder with the wrong/original date in the iPhoto library folder. Is this normal? Shouldn't iPhoto change the folder to the proper year/date?

Thanks!

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

It doesn't sound out of the ordinary, but to be honest I wouldn't know as I never look at the folders my photos are in.

Since the introduction of events in iLife '08, photos were stored in folders named after the event. Change the event name, the folder name changed.

In iLife '09, unless you actually specify a name for the event at time of import, it will give the folder the name after the date. And as far as I know, nothing can change that. Successive imports form photos with the same date will create new folders, incrementing the folder name.

I assume this structure is to maintain efficiency in accessing events and editing. The main library database needs to keep track of the event names, and I guess it doesn't allow changes to maximise efficiency in not having to re-edit the database every time.

I personally prefer the older way of naming folders after the event, but since I have given up on the concept of managing my own files, so long as iPhoto knows what is going on, and it keeps the front end organised as I have organised it, it matters little to me.

3. laurakaplan macrumors newbie

event date problems

I am having this same problem. I have spent the last two days organizing approx. 2500 photos into proper "events" and editing wrong dates from when I didn't have my camera date set properly. The vast majority of my event/photo edits have saved properly but there are about 4 events from one chunk of time that won't change in the event date area... the photo dates change within the events but the range of time listed on the event title won't adjust properly. Anybody know how to fix this??...