iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by James Burgun, Jan 21, 2011.

1. James Burgun macrumors newbie

Hi I am new to the mac. If i use iphoto or Aperture3 can i store all my photos in folders or am i stuck using there library system?...On my PC I stored all of my photos in folders and used AcDsee to veiw and back them up.. Thanks.

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Not sure about Aperture, but iPhoto insists on importing to the library. If it helps, the iPhoto Library file is openable like a folder, in which you can find your photos organised by in folders by date.

3. davids8477 macrumors 6502

if I am not mistaken you can tell Iphoto not to import you photos into its library - but leave them where they are.
    The only issue then is if you move then (outside of Iphoto) then the Iphoto database can get messed up.

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

5. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Quick question with iPhoto, If I copy my whole 'Pictures' folder complete with iPhoto library and the other folders will it safely backup my iPhoto library?

I ask this because I am switching to an SSD and need to backup my photos and music. Is this a safe way to save my iPhoto library without having to individually copy each photo to the desktop to save raw photos.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yes, it will backup your library. Assuming you have iPhoto manage your library, then all your photos, faces, tags, etc are contained in that iPhoto Library special folder.

-Kevin

7. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, but don't even think about going into the Folders and "doing things" with your photos. You can seriously mess iPhoto up.