iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alpha1phi, Nov 3, 2013.

1. alpha1phi macrumors newbie

I would like to be able to MOVE pictures within iPhoto. On my old mac notebook - I used to be able to select pictures and drag them to where I wanted to move them to... this doesn't seem to work on the new iPhoto (mac book pro)

I'm guessing that this is a simple task - hoping someone here can help!

Thanks!

2. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

Move to/from where? From an event to another event, or an album? A slideshow? Export to the desktop? More info please.

Also, what version of iPhoto did you use on your old Mac? I'm going to assume you have the latest version of iPhoto on your new Mac.

More information please, so we have to make less assumptions. You know what those do.

3. alpha1phi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure which version - but no updates available for iPhoto

When looking at my entire collection of photos... I would like to be able to move photos around. When i imported pics - they weren't time/date stamped correctly...so they are dispersed throughout my entire iPhoto folder... I want to move/sort to put pictures together from same event.

thanks

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Then create a new event and drag the pictures you want together, into it. Are you trying to drag photos into an event from another?

There are a variety of ways you can do this. Read here. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2363

Or just to confuse you even more, you can create albums which look like events in one way, eg a collection of photos, but are just pointers back to the events the photos are in. One picture can be in many albums.

For example maybe you took a photo of a fish and its in your event "day at the beach". You could also have that same photo in an album called "fish", one called "dinners" and one called "my best pictures". It only exists once physically in the event "day at the beach", in its not taking up extra room in the albums.

5. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Highlight the photo...

edit > copy > edit > cut.

Click the event you want to move the photo to..

Edit > paste.

Done.

Beware, you will see above that you have to cut the photo before pasting into the new location. If you forget to paste it, the photo has gone. Kind of.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

While in iPhoto go to the iPhoto menu and select About iPhoto, here you can the version number of the iPhoto you're using.

Also, if you want to correct the wrong date and time on imported photos you can do that while in iPhoto by selecting the photo and going to the Photos menu and selecting Adjust Date and Time....

7. alpha1phi thread starter macrumors newbie

iphoto '11
    Version 9.4.3 (720.91)

I tried cutting/pasting. It allows me to cut the photo - but when I scroll up/down to move it - it doesn't allow me to paste it

I have thousands of photos - is there just a quick/easy way to rearrange without having to create events/albums or having to go through and edit time/date stamp??

Does anyone remember how it used to be on previous versions? You could select one or more photo and drag and drop at another area... this is all i want to do.

THANKS!

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I haven't upgraded beyond Snow Leopard 10.6.8 yet, so I'm stuck at iPhoto 9.2.3. Sorry I can't be of more help.

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

10. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

This was possible in iPhoto09, and is no longer possible in iPhoto11.

Make Albums. You can sort in those any way you want.

11. alpha1phi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses!

Eventually, it would be nice to organize all my photos into albums. however, it is going to take hours and hours...since I have thousands of photos from the past 10 years in iPhoto.

Is there a way to "downgrade" back to older iPhoto/09 version?? Obviously, I'm not very computer savy - and this simpler version was easier for me to use.

THANKS!!

12. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

13. Big Stevie, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Why do you feel the need to reorganise all your photos into albums? iPhoto isn't designed for that as it can do so much more, why restrict yourself to albums like Windows computers do? Leave all the Events alone and let iPhoto do all the smart work for you...

Just add Keywords to photos when you import them into iPhoto, that way you can create a Smart Album whenever you want, containing any photos you want.

Want to see all the photos you took on holiday in Mexico 2012? Simple, just create a Smart Album to contain all photos with Keyword 'Mexico' and date '2012' and BOOM, its done!!:) Bored of looking at those photos? Simple, just delete the Smart Album (deletes the album NOT the original photos).

Want to see all the photos you've taken that contain the family dog? Simple, just create a Smart Album.......;)

14. alpha1phi thread starter macrumors newbie

Stevie,

I realize that iphoto can do much more than I probably even realize.

I can certainly start using your method....but i'm frustrated with what to do with the 6000 photos I already have.

when you say add keywords to photos...is this where it says "add description"?do I need to go through each photo at a time?

Is there a way to change the date associated with the picture so it falls into the right order?

15. Big Stevie, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013

Big Stevie

I understand regarding you 6000 existing photos, thats quite a task. I guess you have two options...

1) Create lots of new Events and then copy photos into those Events.

2) Spend some time of the coming weeks gradually working through those 6000 photos adding Keywords to them. Then you can just use Smart Albums.

For option 1 - open up the Event, highlight the photos you want to move, then click on Edit > Copy, then Edit > Cut. The will copy the photo and then delete it. Then click on the Event you want to paste them into and then click on Edit > paste. There doesn't seem to be a way of pasting the photo into the new Event without having to cut it first.

Naturally, iPhoto lets you do whatever you want (almost:D) Open up an Event, highlight a photo, then....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In relation to your question about adding Keywords, THIS IS BEST DONE AT THE POINT OF IMPORTING NEW PHOTOS FROM YOUR CAMERAS MEMORY CARD INTO IPHOTO. But for existing photos simply bring up the photo/s in question, click on 'Information' at the bottom right of the screen, this will then show you the 'Keyword' box.

[​IMG]

If you don't see the Keywords box then you need to turn Keywords on, you do this by clicking on View then ticking Keywords...

[​IMG]

You don't have to do this individually, you can select multiple photos within an Event (by holding down 'cmd') and add Keywords to them all in one go...

[​IMG]

Or you can add Keywords to the whole Event by clicking on the Event and then adding your Keywords (in some instances it might even be quicker to tag the whole Event with Keywords, and then individually remove them from certain photos?)..

[​IMG]

Once you have added Keywords to your photos, finding those photos (at any time) couldn't be simpler. Click on the magnifying glass at the bottom left of the screen...

[​IMG]

Then click on the tiny triangle that appears next to it...

[​IMG]

Click on 'Keywords'...

[​IMG]

And it will bring up a box containing all your Keywords.

[​IMG]

Click on the Keyword you want and, as if by magic, all the photos with that keyword will appear:). Now, if you want to have a quick way of accessing certain photos then you can use Albums or Smart Albums, and set them to contain certain Keywords or other info such at Ratings/Date etc

I absolutely LOVE iPhoto, but at first I didn't understand its capabilities. Once you have grasped some of the basics it will revolutionise they way you sort your photos. Gone are the days of just having 'Folders within Folders' like Windows computers dictate. I learnt from others on here, and by attending an iPhoto workshop at my local Apple Store.;):)

16. Big Stevie, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013

Big Stevie

What the hell, I'm feeling generous, heres some Smart Album help...

You can create Albums and Smart Albums. Albums can be created to contain photos of a certain type, such as Keyword/Rating/Date/Camera Speed etc. Smart Albums are the same, but they remain live in that new photos that meet the criteria are automatically added to the Smart Album.

To create them, click on File > New Smart Album...

[​IMG]

A box appears for you to customise your Smart Album. Give it a name...

[​IMG]

Then start customising it with all the details needed for your new album, whether it be Keywords, Star Rating, Date, Camera Aperture, Shutter Speed.....

[​IMG]

The new Smart Album will appear down the left of the screen, you can see here that I have a few of my own. The Smart Albums are denoted by a cog symbol next to them...

[​IMG]

Now, Smart Albums are like living breathing documents because anytime you add any of this information to any new photos, they will magically appear within your Smart Album. You can delete these Smart Albums anytime you want, the original photos will still exist.

You can now create/edit/delete albums whenever you want without effecting the original photos. The original photos remain in their original Events. Whether this takes up more space on your hard drive is yet another subject....:cool:

When doing any altering/editing within iPhoto, the original unaltered photos still exist an an unaltered state. Effectively, the original photo isn't changed at all, iPhoto simply allows you to view the photos as if they have been changed, but they haven't. iPhoto is fooling you into believing you have changed the photo. Infact, iPhoto is actually one great big con because nothing about your photos actually changes, not even its location. iPhoto just lets you look at the photo differently. Apple are good like this, they know we want to preserve our original photos and so they hide them away within 'Finder' in a place your best never visiting. Ever :rolleyes:;):D.