Resolved iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrismarle, Mar 23, 2014.

1. chrismarle, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

chrismarle macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I just transferred some pictures and videos that I took with my iPhone 5s on my iMac with iPhoto and I was wondering where are the actual files in the Finder.

Thanks!

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

They are in the iPhoto library in your Pictures folder. If you start messing around in there you will probably screw it up. If you need the files in another location you can export them from iPhoto. If you need to use them in another application, just select the Photos link in the finder sidebar. Much safer way to access the photos.

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Or next time if you don't wish to use iPhoto, use Image Capture. You can set that up so it automatically starts instead of iPhoto when you plug a memory card in or connect your iPhone.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I use 2 separate approaches to manage my photos. First of all, I enable photostream on my iPhone and on my Mac. This gets photos copied to my Mac automagically. About once a month, I open iPhoto and look around to make sure the automatically created events such as "January 2014 Photostream" are showing up. Then I move on to my second method...

I have an external HDD with a folder named "photos". In iPhoto, I select everything in one of those Photostream events and drag them all to Finder to a folder I created just for that month. This gives me 2 copies, one in iPhoto and one in Finder.

Then there is a third thing I do. Every now and then I connect my iPhone via a USB cable and use Image Capture to transfer and delete photos from the camera roll. This saves me time versus deleting them on the phone after they have showed up in Photostream. It also allows me to copy videos which are not transferred by Photostream. It's not uncommon for me to have 3 or more Gig of photos and videos on my phone so I'll do the image transfer thing about every 90 days or so. I have OSX set to "do nothing" when I connect my phone because I prefer to manage things myself.

5. chrismarle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys for your ideas. The problem is that I really love iPhoto but I really wished that I could easily access my content in a folder to copy/share a bunch of stuff faster without the need of duplicating my stuff in another folder.

6. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

iPhoto stores the pictures inside a "package" in your Pictures folder. Go to your home directory --> Pictures, then right-click on iPhoto Library and choose 'Show Package Contents'. Your pictures will be in a folder called "Masters."

I would also recommend against playing around with the files in that directory. If I ever want to edit a pic in Photoshop I usually make a copy and edit the copy.

I don't mess with Photostream: I could never get it to work as advertised.

When I connect my iPhone/iPad/iPod/Camera SD card I fire up iPhoto and copy the photos in, then delete the photos from my iPhone/other devices. Then when I sync my i-devices I have it automatically pull the last three Events from iPhoto to the device. This way I have all my most recent photos from all my devices on my iPhone/etc., and I don't worry about clogging up my iDevice's memory with photos that only exist in one place.

Separately from all this, I have Dropbox set up so it automatically pulls all new photos from my devices and puts them in a folder called "Camera Uploads." So I can access my most recent photos as long as I have an internet connection, regardless of what or whose device I am using.

7. chrismarle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! That's was what I was looking for! I won't mess in this folder, I just wanted to copy a bunch of pictures and vidéos.