iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by santangelo, Jul 22, 2008.

1. santangelo macrumors regular

Im formatting my mac hard drive and i want to save all my photos.

When i select everything and go to file export i get an error, Is there an other way to get all my photos out of iPhoto?

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Copy the entire library folder over to an external hd, then after you reformat and everything you can do one of two things:

1) move it back and have it replace the one that was created during reformat
    or
    2) Start a new library with the new folder that was set up and use iPhoto Buddy (which seems to have used its bandwidth for the month) so you can switch between the old and new library.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Don't export the images. If you do then ALL you will get are the edited image files and you loose the originals and any meta data and smart foldrs and slide shows and so on the you've entered. All you need to do is drag the Photo folder to a backup disk.

Or if you already have a backup just then yo don't even need to save anything. You can always just restore from the backup. If you don't have a backup then now is a really good time to make one or two backups.

Why are you re-formatting the disk? You should never need to do this unless you are changing the type of file system or you are selling the computer and want to remove all of your information.