iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mtschindler, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mtschindler macrumors newbie

Hello
    I'm new to MacBook. I edited a photo and saved it to the same folder where the original was that I can see in iPhoto, but my edited picture is not showing in iPhoto even it's in the directory where all the pictures for that Events are -
    What am I doing wrong?

Mark

2. BikerJim macrumors newbie

Hey Mark,
    In iPhoto you do not save or import a edited image. When your done with your edit, just close it or click "Done". The image will then be saved automatically to the "Modified" folder and should appear in iPhoto. What I do is make a copy of the image I want to work on and then work on the copy, but that's not necessary, just my way of doing it.
    iPhoto is pretty much automatic, you don't need to do much to help it.
    Thanks, Jim.

3. mtschindler thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhoto

Jim

Thanks for the reply. I didn't edit this image in iPhoto. I edited it outside and just saved the edited image to iPhoto Originals and also Data folder. Edited image is not showing in iPhoto.
    Mark

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

That's to be expected, because the thumbnail in iPhoto doesn't update according to what you changed. When you use an external editor, you must save the modified file outside of the iPhoto library and then import the modified file back in to have it appear inside iPhoto. You will have to crack open the iPhoto Library package, pull out the modified file, and reimport it. Did you overwrite or use the same filename as the original picture?

5. mtschindler thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhoto

Thanks appreciate your help.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you go into iPhoto's preferences and tell it to use an external editor, doesn't it update everything properly upon saving?

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Nope, sadly not...iPhoto will allow writing of files inside the iPhoto package but they will not appear inside of iPhoto until they have been imported, so that thumbnails/metadata links are created for the modified file.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hmm. I know (from having played around at the Apple Store) if you set iPhoto's external editor to Photoshop Elements, it does update everything inside of iPhoto correctly, including being able to "revert to original". I guess Elements must have been written to do that.

Update: I just set the external editor to be Seashore, edited a photo in iPhoto (which launched Seashore), made some changes in Seashore, saved the file, and iPhoto was immediately updated with the changes. :confused:

9. JediMeister macrumors 68040

That functionality could be something that was "fixed" with iPhoto '09 if that's what you have. iPhoto 7 (from iLife '08) was notorious for not doing this IIRC.

10. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I have iPhoto 9, and I have Photoshop set as my editor.

If I edit the file and save the changes are transferred to iPhoto. This has not changed.

I believe the OP just opened his pic outside of iPhoto, saved a copy in the same folder, and expected iPhoto to add it to the library.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

I have iLife '08 and it works as expected, so maybe it's just an '07 thing. It'd be pretty stupid for Apple to give you a preference to launch an external editor from within iPhoto and not have iPhoto update the changes, IMO. :eek: ... but they have done some pretty stupid things before! :)