iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrUnkn0wn, Jun 28, 2010.

1. MrUnkn0wn macrumors newbie

The new macbook I have is not really new, its about a few years old but anyways, I want to connect my camera to it but I don't have iPhoto. What is another way to import the stuff? The camera is a Kodak EasyShare Z612. I downloaded some software for it but when I tried to import a video it would stop responding or crash.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you have the grey restore DVDs that came with the Mac? If so, take a look onto the second DVD, as iLife is included there.

Otherwise, have you taken a look at Kodak's support page for that camera, as they often have software for transferring images from their cameras. Or get an SD card reader, if your camera uses SD cards and your Mac has none.

Even though some might get annoyed of reading this, the thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at http://mroogle.*************/MRoogleSmall.gif, since that question may have been asked several times?

3. MrUnkn0wn thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I downloaded something for it and while it was importing a video it stopped responding. I restarted my computer but that didn't help. and no I don't have the CDs

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could provide more detailed information in order to help you.

What Mac do you have (green 3 - Model Identifier, with what Mac OS X version (yellow 2) and what specific program did you use to download the pictures?

[​IMG]

5. MrUnkn0wn thread starter macrumors newbie

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I have no Kodak Easyshare camera at hand right now, so I can't test, but it seems to be alright.
    You can get replacement DVDs from Apple for 15 to 50 USD, price varies from source to source) and install iPhoto from that.

I just tried that piece of software and it just crashed. Maybe it's not compatible with Snow Leopard, even though it is from 2008.

The cheapest option is to get an external card reader, they should cost around 10€.

Have you tried Applications / Image Capture yet?

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

iPhoto is a fine program, but you don't need iPhoto. Pop out the SD card from the camera and invest in a $5 (possibly as high as $19) USB SD card reader. Pop it in. If it mounts, you will see "NO NAME" on your desktop. Double click it, go to DCIM and to whatever folder your photos are in. Select them all, copy and paste them to somewhere on your computer. After they are finished copying, go back and select them all again and pick "move to trash". Lastly eject the sd card and put it back in your camera. (actually I copy them to another location before deleting them from SD card, so I have 2 copies before deleting the originals but that's simply my paranoid approach to managing files).

This is the ritual I perform each and every time I get photos off of my cameras. I never use iPhoto. I choose to manage the raw files myself. I will let iPhoto copy them when it imports them but I never let iPhoto have my only copy of a photo. If you do decide to get iPhoto (presumably so you can use the usb cable to get stuff off your camera), you can still get to the raw photos by opening your iPhoto Library file using "show contents" and you can navigate to the files that way. I prefer to manage all this myself. The main reason is disk space. I keep a few hundred gig of photos on a network drive and only import certain photos to iPhoto. If you take movies with your Kodak camera, don't let iPhoto import them. They will bloat your iPhoto library and will prevent iMovie from working properly. I have to rename my iPhoto library before attempting to use iMovie because I allowed tens of gigabytes of home movies to be imported into iPhoto before I knew any better. I plan to go back and repair the damage when I get a Round Tuit.

Hope this helps...

8. ianray macrumors 6502

I follow a similar ritual, but for a different reason :D

1. Get files off memory card
    2. Organize files in one folder-per-event named with a YYYYMMDD-EventName prefix.
    3. Rename photos to YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.jpg
    4. Add geocode information (if needed) (using exiftool)
    5. Use QuickTime 7 to re-export movies (reduces their size)
    6. Import folder to iPhoto
    7. iPhoto is set-up to NOT copy files

I agree that iPhoto is a fine program, but I like the ability to control the directory hierarchy and filenames :)