iPhoto08 - Event browsing slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mixel, Aug 14, 2007.

1. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

Ok I've updated iLife and am getting used to the new workflows.. I have a dual G5 1.8/2GB/ATI Radeon Pro 9800 - which coped very well with iPhoto 06..

When scrolling down "photos" view it runs at a fine pace *unless* i turn on the 'event names' - essentially the "roll names" in old iphoto. I dont want to use events exactly as they suggest - i have too many photos (many bloggy and totally pointless) to keep them all by event like that, so I have folders/rolls/events for seperate people, pets etc.. This means a roll can easily have over 200 photos in it.

I'm talking about this view:
    [​IMG]

Now, why should that slow it down when the events are collapsed? it's only a list view with a few tiny thumbnails on it.. It's frustrating, as I have a lot of photos to drag between "events", and moving up and down the list is scarily slow.

I know this is a long shot but has anyone got tips to speed it up? It seems like sloppy coding.. It's only a list. :/ I'm guessing they haven't optimised it as much as they could, or maybe they just don't care about "slower" systems.. But it's just a list! It shouldn't be super slow on a dual G5 surely?

Having to either upgrade or split over 5k photos up into tiny "events" - don't seem ideal.. Is anyone else having similar problems?

2. jimbama macrumors newbie

I'm finding iphoto 08 to be slow in various places. Opening photos gives me a second or two of blurriness before it becomes clear. Also, using the "adjust" panel is very slow- the sliders are not fluid and closing the photo after making adjustments gives me the spinning beach ball. None of this happened with iPhoto06.

Fairly confident that it's not my machine (C2D 2.16 with 3 GB RAM), i'd be very curious to hear if others are running into this.

3. superted666 Guest

superted666

Generally i find it a little slower.

Its slower when i use it to connect to my external disk based library, slower than 06 anyhow.

Also notice the slowdown as it loads the image (looks blurry for a few seconds) this is mostly with RAW files.

4. basherhp2112 macrumors member

basherhp2112

Problem naming Events

I am a proud owner of a new 24" iMac.

When I tried out the iPhoto in iLife 08 I noticed it was a little 'clunky'.

I was able to import many of my photos.

When I tried to create an Event I had trouble trying to give it a name.

The default title shows as the date of import, but when I tried to change the date to Vacation I only received an empty box I couldn't edit.

Is anyone else experiencing any problems with iPhoto?

It's very close, but I think they may have pulled this application out of the oven before it was done.

Peace :apple:

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Hmmm, odd,iPhoto8 seems faster than iPhoto 6 on my G4's (dual 867, dual 1.25, PB 1.67).

I was worried about the performance, but I couldn't be happier (although I do hate the events auto-sort feature. Is there a way to diasble this?)

6. mixel thread starter macrumors 65816

mixel

Thanks for the replies.. :)

Yeah im guessing my problem is a G5ish one, that one view is hellishly slow to scroll up and down.. My CD 1.8 Macbook completely torches the G5 in all respects for iphoto08.. It scrolls the view without issue. Which is funny/depressing depending on your angle.

I'd be happy too if it didnt impede my work-flow or i wasn't used to it running *much* faster. Seems like they've screwed up the G5 optimization maybe, who knows. I'd hate to see how slow my photos scroll in that view on a G4 though, hehe. Over 12GB of photo library.. :/

I think I'm going to move my library over to an external drive so I can swap between the machines and use the Macbook for big photo management jobs, G5 for editing/artwork. Daft. It's just a list. Ugh. Might have to send Apple feedback.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing