Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Czo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
Hi,

Last weekend i discovered that iPhoto lost their ability to show photo location on maps. I found the bug that cause this problem: Apple use an old Google Maps api v2, that seems to be ceased out by Google sometimes between this April and last weekend. I started to port it to newer Maps api v3, but before i'm going deeply with this project, i need to know anyone working on this?

Screenshot from my aging iPhoto '09:
http://homokozo.czo.hu/iPhoto-PPC-maps.png

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Hi,

Last weekend i discovered that iPhoto lost their ability to show photo location on maps. I found the bug that cause this problem: Apple use an old Google Maps api v2, that seems to be ceased out by Google sometimes between this April and last weekend. I started to port it to newer Maps api v3, but before i'm going deeply with this project, i need to know anyone working on this?

Screenshot from my aging iPhoto '09:
http://homokozo.czo.hu/iPhoto-PPC-maps.png
I have been wanting to use the maps feature, but as you said, it's not working currently. I think it's a great idea

Czo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
Finally, it's working now. To fix missing maps, you need to replace the original googleMap.html (iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/googleMap.html) to the patched file: http://homokozo.czo.hu/iphotomapfixppc/ (The zip contains the googleMap.html, because more easy to save a zip rather than a html)

Tested with: 10.5.8 (iPhoto '09, 8.1.2) and 10.8.5 (iPhoto '11, 9.4.3), i think, it's also works with 10.6/10.7.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Finally, it's working now. To fix missing maps, you need to replace the original googleMap.html (iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/googleMap.html) to the patched file: http://homokozo.czo.hu/iphotomapfixppc/ (The zip contains the googleMap.html, because more easy to save a zip rather than a html)

Tested with: 10.5.8 (iPhoto '09, 8.1.2) and 10.8.5 (iPhoto '11, 9.4.3), i think, it's also works with 10.6/10.7.
So everything is now working as it originally did simply by replacing that .html?

Czo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
So everything is now working as it originally did simply by replacing that .html?

Yes, the downloadable html is almost identical with one found in iPhoto '11. I only made a small fix (removed Google Maps AppId, because Google disabled the access for any AppIds used/owned by Apple)

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Yes, the downloadable html is almost identical with one found in iPhoto '11. I only made a small fix (removed Google Maps AppId, because Google disabled the access for any AppIds used/owned by Apple)

You are awesome. So you basically dragged an edited .html file from iPhoto 11? Genius! Thank you very much for this!

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I did the patch and it works! It's super slow sometimes when dealing with the Places tab, but otherwise at least the functionality is back!

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I don't remember how fast it was, but it's seems ok to me (tested on a PB12"). Maybe it's a more modern maps engine.

It used to respond quicker when switching between the display types and now it's using more VRAM I think and slowing down other apps. I think I'll just update my graphics card at some point and then it will be fine. At least that's what I think it is.

JDMacMan

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2015
Hi, I stumbled upon this while searching high and low for anything that would fix Places in iPhoto '09. I run an Intel Mac.

I followed the link and copied the googleMap.html file and installed it into my copy of iPhoto. The MAP WORKED! However, when I placed a photo, it does NOT install the metadata onto the photo like it used to. I have to type the place name manually, and it doesn't automatically add the county, state, etc. I have a suspicion that iPhoto '11 uses two files called googleMap.html and googlesearch.html (see for example this thread in Apple Discussions). That could be why. If I can't get the search, I can at least type the city/county/state manually, they just won't show up in the Places list (but will in the search box).

Have you done any more experimentation (possibly by using a separate googlesearch.html file) to get that functionality?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.