Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zantafio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Here is my list of iPhotos features that have vanished from Photos:

1) Creation of places (ie. you draw a circle on a map and give it a name).
No workaround.

2) Adding/changing location (geotagging).
Workaround, edit the geotagging in iPhoto and reimport the picture in Photos.

3) External editor.
Workaround: drag drop the picture to your desktop, open it wit your favorite editor, do your stuff, save, reimport to Photos, delete old version from your library. Cumbersome? Yep....

4) SHARING INFORMATION HISTORY. Of all missing features, this is the one that made me the most furious. No way to know if you already shared a picture, posted it to a stream, etc... Nothing! No workaround.

5) Rating 1 to 5 stars : from now on you can only like a picture.
Workaround: use keywords.

6) flagging picture : another useful feature gone.
Workaround : use keywords.

7) Rescan picture for faces.
Workaround : move picture out of library, re-import.

In conclusion: what a sad joke of a downgrade.

Feel free to complete my list.

Last edited:

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
Regarding "3) External editor.", I anticipate that these features will be added, similar to the way they were added to the Photos app on iOS.

TheMacPotato

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2006
London
I really need the external editor function! My old 2007 iMac (2007 iMac) was struggling to run aperture, so I'm happy to switch to the much zippier new Photos app, but I'd like to be able to right-click an image and edit it in Photoshop.

ajdb9

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
Exif

Can you change the EXIF data though?

Sorry, just as I posted this I saw the "Image -> Adjust Date and Time" setting. My bad.

Cheers :)

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
I think these two are gone (although I've only been trying out Photos for a few hours)

1. The two-finger multi-touch gesture to rotate photos into their intended orientation.

2. The [Month] [Year] Photo Stream event (project in Aperture) that was automatically created.

mgroot

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
Making a photoset on Flickr from within the app. iPhoto could do that but for Photos you seem to have to go to the Flickr site first, make a photoset before you can share to it

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Making a photoset on Flickr from within the app. iPhoto could do that but for Photos you seem to have to go to the Flickr site first, make a photoset before you can share to it

I see. So, you can obviously share to Flickr within Photos, but you are saying that you can't create a new Flickr photoset in Photos. You can only add to an existing Flickr photoset or upload to Flickr without being in a photoset.

mgroot

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
I see. So, you can obviously share to Flickr within Photos, but you are saying that you can't create a new Flickr photoset in Photos. You can only add to an existing Flickr photoset or upload to Flickr without being in a photoset.

Yup!
I used to edit my pics, picked the ones I wanted and picked share to Flickr and then make a new photoset (if needed). You now only have the option to pick from existing photosets, so if you want to put them in a new photoset you'll have to make that on flickr.com first

gpp

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2008
Batch change is gone and titles you give A photo like say who it is ,is also gone.not having the title under the picture is why I'm not switching.minor to some but not me.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Apple was working on this for at least 9 months, probably 12 months or longer and this is the best they can do? A multi-billion profit company?

Apple is a joke. The bigger they get the worse they become. Once upon a time they could put out great software like Aperture. Now all we get are glorified iPad apps.

Apple treats its customers with contempt. I paid good money for Aperture and invested in its ecosystem, now I can't even download the software anymore and if I buy a new computer I have to install/restore from backup only just to get access to the software I paid for.

Apple has proven why you should never spend good money or buy professional apps you rely on from the App Store. They can withdraw apps at any time making reinstallation difficult.

mgroot

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
Apple treats its customers with contempt. I paid good money for Aperture and invested in its ecosystem, now I can't even download the software anymore and if I buy a new computer I have to install/restore from backup only just to get access to the software I paid for.

Apple has proven why you should never spend good money or buy professional apps you rely on from the App Store. They can withdraw apps at any time making reinstallation difficult.

It's still showing up for me in the Purchased tap in the App Store (I'm a Lightroom user that's why I don't have it installed)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 01.40.49.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 01.40.49.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 57

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Yup!
I used to edit my pics, picked the ones I wanted and picked share to Flickr and then make a new photoset (if needed). You now only have the option to pick from existing photosets, so if you want to put them in a new photoset you'll have to make that on flickr.com first

That sounded familiar, because its the same limitation on iOS. I'm not a heavy Flickr user, but the options on iOS are either "None" or my existing Flickr Photo Sets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.