iphotos GONE - please help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by seablue, Apr 16, 2009.

1. seablue macrumors regular

I had some photos on iphoto and now they seem to be gone. They were on there but I couldn't export or get them to do anything. Windows just came up saying they didn't exist. So, I tried doing a re build and now they are GONE. Empty little windows are on there. At the bottom it says, 79 items but they are blank. Are they gone forever or can they still be found??

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Were they on an external that is not connected?

3. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

4. macgrl macrumors 65816

Have you look at the photo library. Your photos will be stored on your mac away from iphoto. Have a look and see if they are there. :)

5. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

Whenever I go to the photo library - iphoto opens up - maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Where would I find this?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Right-click, then Show package contents ... navigate to the Originals folder.

7. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

I'm on a laptop - ibook - there is no right click.

8. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

9. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

that window just brought up the last thing I looked up - this message board

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Control-click is the same thing.

11. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

ok... UGH... there are only two library folders with alot of folders but don't see anything that has to do with photos.

12. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I don't know if they are actually gone or not, I don't have enough information.

Try a search with Spotlight to see if you can find photos.

If you have accidentally deleted them, you can recover deleted files with Data Rescue 2.

13. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

I've done so many spotlights and the only thing that comes up is the same iphoto and of course they are not there. A LONG time ago, I thought I backed them up on a CD but when I open the CD, iphoto opens and they are not there. The pictures were on iphoto earlier but I couldn't do anything with them. couldn't export - nothing. A window would pop up saying they don't exist. I did a re-build and now there are just empty spaces where the pictures were. I'm just stressing so bad because these were our honeymoon pictures in Hawaii and I'm afraid they are gone :(
    Where and how do I use this Data rescue 2??

I just looked up rescue 2 and I see it's software that you buy -- 99.00. Can't afford that.

14. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Finder in column view > User Folder with house Icon > Pictures > iPhoto Library > control click = right click > Show package contents > Originals folder. They should be in there.

15. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

found it but they are not there - I'm afraid they are gone :(

found some pics but a window pops up and says it cannot retrieve due to possible corrupt.

16. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

17. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

yes, that's the first place I checked. I downloaded the photos onto photo bucket when we were on that vacation - in 2007. I even went there to search for them - and guess what - NOTHING. GONE.

18. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Are your honeymoon pictures not worth $99? Mine would be! I'd find a way.

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You said that little blank boxes show up instead of photos, can you control-click on them and choose revert to original? What happens?

20. skybolt macrumors 6502a

You said they were on a disk. Ignore iPhoto opening, and look for the disk on your desktop. Click (double-click?) on that to see what happens. I'll bet you will be able to see your photos there. Then, just import them back into iPhoto, or even drag them to a folder on your desktop, and go from there.

21. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

EXCUSE ME!!! I lost my job - I don't have the money. So, YES, they are worth it to me but if you don't have the money - you don't have the money.
    And I read about the software and it's not even a guarantee it will even work.

22. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

I did that and it just open iphoto no matter what. Somehow when I burned them onto the CD, the whole iphoto got burned not just the pictures themselves. How that happened and I didn't catch it - I don't know.

23. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

This assumes that they are copied to the library.

It's unclear what the OP is doing. There is nearly no way to lose the original photos if they are managed by iPhoto - since they are not in the originals folder, perhaps they were never there (referenced).

When OP says they were there, meaning they were there last week? Last year?

It sounds like they were referenced, and the original links are broken. But who knows.

24. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then they are still on that CD.

25. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

They were there about 6 months ago or so. I just started face book and wanted to put some pics up and that's when I realized the problem now. So, if there is no way to loose the originals - could they have been lost during the iphoto re-build that I did?? I wish I hadn't done that. But that shouldn't have corrupted the files should it?
    I just have no idea how to find these again. I have done everything and not finding anything - just blank spots.