iPhotos is driving me NUTS...Help !

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Since my pismo crashed a month ago and i lost 6 months worth of photos that I thought were backed up but weren't. I'm trying to get the stuff I put into iPhotos to "automatically" back up to my ext.HD.....
    Before the crash I had my iPhotos library + iTunes Libary both on the ext.HD to save myself space...iTunes backed up but iphoto didn't hence the the loss of 6 months worth of photos. I've tried putting "alias" of the backed up libaray in the " Images" of the int.hd but it doesnt seem to work and EVERYTIME I even "look" at iPhoto's I 'lose' some more... and it takes me hours trying to find them again, then putting them back manually.(slide)
    Why is iPhotos so damn 'fragile'...There MUST be an easier way..what am i doing wrong?

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

if you are a serious photographer why aren't you using aperture it is much easier to manage and backup.

3. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok...thanks I'll check it out.
    Right I checked it out and its expensive..and i already have Photoshop... I just need a sort of filing system that doesn't lost my photos

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Help us understand exactly what you are doing and what you want. How are you "backing up"? Where is this backup? What do you mean by "losing" photos? Where do you have your photos stored? What file structure and hard drive location?

We can help you better if you will be more clear about what is happening.