Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoldenSausage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
So i hear many good things about iPhoto. So as a new mac user coming from windows, i am trying to learn to use it and learn why so many people like it.

After importing all my photos (usually synced across all my devices via dropbox) to my iPhoto library, iPhoto displays all my photos without my folder structure which i used to organize all my pics. All it does is take all my folders and made them as separate albums. All my sub folders within larger folders are not reflected in iPhotos. This makes sense, since iPhotos, like iTunes, is a library organizer.

The problem is, i have way too many pictures of too many different categories such that i need to have folders within folders (or albums within albums) in order to keep my pictures sufficiently organized. Right now all i have is several hundred albums in a single list.

I understand mac goes by a different philosophy than windows with a different approach to things, and i am willing to embrace it, but i need a way to organize my pictures. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Second step is probably to find a way to sync it using dropbox across all my devices (windows pc, android phone, iOS tablet, OS X laptop LOL), probably by using symbolic links or something. But i will save this for another day.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
The best thing to do is pick up the book "iPhoto - The Missing Manual". It covers various organizing methods within the iPhoto structure. It also helps to understand how iPhoto stores your pictures and how you can organize them. You will need to stop thinking in a hierarchal file system.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
You can create Folders via iPhoto's File Menu. You can have Folders within Folders and Albums within Folders, but you can't have Albums within Albums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.