iPhotos - Send photos back from the external Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Keniff, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Last year I bought a MacPro Desktop, and just recently got iLife '09.
    I'd move all the photo's onto my external LaCie Hard Drive. and I'd like to move them back again, i.e direct iPhoto's to these photo's that are on my external Hard Drive.

I've made an extensive search before coming on hear to ask, but I can only seem to find "How to send photo's from iPhotos onto an external Hard Drive, but I want to "send them back from the external Hard Drive" but keep them on the external Hard Drive so I son't use up internal Hard Drive space.
    I thought there might be an easy way to do this?

Can somebody tell me how to do this, or point me in the right direction, please?
    Thanks in advance.

K.

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I have an older version of iPhoto, but maybe yours has the same settings in Preferences.

Try Preferences / Advanced and then if you find "Importing: ...." you can try unchecking "Copy items to the iPhoto Library."

I think that will do what you want, but keep in mind that if you don't move the images to the iPhoto library, then my understanding is that you'll have to have your external disk connected every time you want to use iPhoto. I believe that all iPhoto does is store links to the image files, wherever they may be, so the image files have to be available somewhere.

Just make sure that you know exactly where all your image files are before you start deleting.